• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 boot issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I've read references to a boot issue with the p2wd5. In the last 2 days each time I cold boot I end up having to reset, go into bios via F1 after an overclocking error, and save and exit (F10). This wasn't happening just days ago.

What gives?

I'm using the latest 0422 bios.

I saw Ross's fix, but I think it involved soldering and I just can't afford to take any chances doing physical changes/harm to this mobo. Hell, I won't even replace the northbridge cooling :D (though it probably needs it). If it leaves no mark then I would probably do it in a heartbeat.

Today I was able to get it to boot without cycling through the errors by immediately pressing the reset button after hitting the power button. I'll have to shutdown and cold boot a few times to confirm this works. If it does, it's a minor inconvenience to having such an otherwise awesome board.

I haven't had any cold boot problems on my P5W. Have you tried using the 0509 bios? I just flashed to 0512 and so far so good.

I think the 422 is the worst BIOS of them all, isn't it? I never even tried it. I am still on 304 and had not a cold boot problem, but a reboot problem over a certain FSB. It would do the same basic thing though: hang, then have to do a hard shutdown/restart, get the OC failed message (even when well under max stable OC levels), enter BIOS, make no changes, save/exit and then it would boot just fine.

The cap mod definitely solved that issue...it reboots at 300FSB just like it did at 200FSB. The hardest part of the cap mod is really getting the filler solder out of the board, short of that, it's just a matter of soldering the 2 legs of a cap in an easily accessible location from the back of the board.

In any event, I have not tried it yet, but I made the 512 BIOS available in this thread (post #3) if you want to give it a shot. I snagged it from BigStan (or was it Larsk?) over on XS a few days ago, so thank him for it ;)

Thanks, I'll try the new bios when I get back next week and will let you know if it helps :).

Back