• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc4000 pc4400 pc4800+ ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siresword

i'm going to build a new system and I'm wondering about ram speeds.

previously I thought that any ram faster than pc3200 was ' server ram ' and you know not for most motherboards, but there are people here who are using ram faster than pc3200 on their dfi boards

buying:
amd 64 3700+ san dieago
dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d mobo
2x512 ocz plat revision 2 pc3200

...can I buy faster ram for my motherboard? I thought it supported up to pc3200 and faster ram wouldn't work.

Faster RAM will work its just binned differently.

However you should be fine with your Platn Rev2 because they belong in DDR600 club and with some tweaking you should be able to get them to that level and just in case you didn't know DDR600 is PC4800 :thup:

RedDragonXXX said:
Faster RAM will work its just binned differently.

...say wut? lol sorry :(

gah im too used to giving ram speeds in pcxxxx..anyway
isn't ddr500 ram faster? shouldn't it do better than my ocz plat revis 2 ddr400 ram?

siresword said:
...say wut? lol sorry :(

gah im too used to giving ram speeds in pcxxxx..anyway
isn't ddr500 ram faster? shouldn't it do better than my ocz plat revis 2 ddr400 ram?

DDR500 RAM is faster but like I said you don't need new RAM since you can get yours to go over that and all the way up to DDR600.

RedDragonXXX said:
DDR500 RAM is faster but like I said you don't need new RAM since you can get yours to go over that and all the way up to DDR600.

OH
okay I understand now

but if you can overclock that DDR400 ram so much, how come people don't overclock their DDR500 or DDR600 ram? Is it just because a nice version hasn't come out that's meant for overclocking?

siresword said:
OH
okay I understand now

but if you can overclock that DDR400 ram so much, how come people don't overclock their DDR500 or DDR600 ram? Is it just because a nice version hasn't come out that's meant for overclocking?

Because not all of them use same chips or PCB's. For example your's is one of the most knowns which is TCC5 running on BrainPower PCB, deadly combination for OC'ing :D

haha yeah i knew that the chips are TCC5... i don't know about PCB's :(
oh well anyway thanks a lot

..last one
if one had two gigs of the same ram (4x512), would it run and overclock the same?

siresword said:
haha yeah i knew that the chips are TCC5... i don't know about PCB's :(
oh well anyway thanks a lot

..last one
if one had two gigs of the same ram (4x512), would it run and overclock the same?

No it will not overclock the same with 4 sticks of RAM, you will get slightly lower results.

oh
heh no good. thats bad...i heard that bf2 needs over a gig of ram to run well sometimes... oh well it works on my comp anyway

thanks a lot !

siresword said:
oh
heh no good. thats bad...i heard that bf2 needs over a gig of ram to run well sometimes... oh well it works on my comp anyway

thanks a lot !

NP :thup:

BTW... BF2 can play fine with 1GB of RAM if rest of your setup is ok. With my system (check the sig) I play with everything max but have Texture on Medium cause if I wanted that on high then I would need more the 1GB.

oh wow okay i see
haha yeah it runs pretty smoothly on my comp (...but it crashes a lot i need more ram...) oh and my comp is the crappy one in my sig :D
anyway if yours runs it with stuff on high then thats fine for me, ...lol most of my stuff on bf2 is at low with like geometry on med... my shadows are squares and whatnot
... do you suggest 1.5 gb ram? (i might buy 4x512 of the ocz, one 512 will go to my brother and i'll get the other 3)

siresword said:
oh wow okay i see
haha yeah it runs pretty smoothly on my comp (...but it crashes a lot i need more ram...) oh and my comp is the crappy one in my sig :D
anyway if yours runs it with stuff on high then thats fine for me, ...lol most of my stuff on bf2 is at low with like geometry on med... my shadows are squares and whatnot
... do you suggest 1.5 gb ram? (i might buy 4x512 of the ocz, one 512 will go to my brother and i'll get the other 3)

Save your money for NF4 board and new vid card!

Back