• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM for my system...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

millard

Registered
Hi guys and girls...

I am planning on building a 64 bit system. I am opting for an AGP MoBo instead of PCI-E as the PCI-E boards don't have many standard PCI slots (which I would need!)

Anyways, I plan to get the "Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 NForce3 Ultra 250 AMD Motherboard" (found here: http://www.casetech.co.uk/product.php?productid=17438) with an "AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 1MB cache" CPU.

The bus speed on the MoBo is just under 2ghz and can take upto 4gb RAM in 4 DIMM slots. I would really like to know what the best RAM for this system would be? Preferably I'd like the chips to be 1gb each so i can maximize the RAM.

ANY help would be very much appreciated...

Thanks, Steve :D

:welcome: TO THE FORUMS

Well since you want 2GB with 1GB each then you can't go wrong with some Crucial Value 1GB sticks.

You can get them here!

Also you could get MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum which has 4xPCI slots one less then the Gigabyte board and its a PCI-E board. So you should consider this board instead because it will serve you better as a future upgrade.

WOW - I like the sound of that board but i noticed that the fsb was "1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)" - what does the "2000 MT/s" mean?

If the bus speed is equal to or greater than the board I had planned to get then this seems the better option...

Thanks for your help. :D

Everything you need to know about this board, you can check in this review. Although they are reviewing the SLI board that doesn't make any difference since they are basically the same mobo only the SLI version contains second PCI-E slots and extra S-ATA controller.

O.K I'm gonna go give that a read right now. I got just one more question which could make all the difference - I live in England and cannot find that board for sale over here. If I bought it from the american site you have provided would I be able to power it using a standard "british" PSU?

I really hope so because I really want this board!

I would go with OCz or Corsair XMS, best overclocking that I have seen in benchmarking, even though I need help doing it myself... :rolleyes:

millard said:
O.K I'm gonna go give that a read right now. I got just one more question which could make all the difference - I live in England and cannot find that board for sale over here. If I bought it from the american site you have provided would I be able to power it using a standard "british" PSU?

I really hope so because I really want this board!

I'm assuming that you have standard 20pin PSU which could technically work but ATX2.0's are recommended for the NF4 boards, even thought I'm using 20pin PSU on my DFI right now since I'm waiting for the new PSU.

I refined my search a little and found quite a few available over here - Got one in the post already! Thanks for you help my friend... much appreciated. :D

Back