• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial ballistix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilAerosolCan

I've got some Crucial Ballistix. I was wondering, how do I take off the heatspreaders? And do I have to reapply any kind of thermal material to put them back on, or can I just clip them back down? As far as overclocking it seems like I can't get it very far. I read the sticky up there ^ about the different chips, and apparently these are supposed to do pretty good, so I'm confused. Does Micron RAM like higher voltage? If anyone has used Ballistix before, what kind of results did you get? Thanks for any help.

EvilAerosolCan said:
I've got some Crucial Ballistix. I was wondering, how do I take off the heatspreaders? And do I have to reapply any kind of thermal material to put them back on, or can I just clip them back down? As far as overclocking it seems like I can't get it very far. I read the sticky up there ^ about the different chips, and apparently these are supposed to do pretty good, so I'm confused. Does Micron RAM like higher voltage? If anyone has used Ballistix before, what kind of results did you get? Thanks for any help.

My Ballistix are PC4000 and I run them at 2.5-2-2-5 at 250mhz with 3.1v. So they do respond well to volts. I just had to put a small fan blowing on them. They do get warm but I didn't need to take the heatspreader off to do it.

WaltS_2 said:
My Ballistix are PC4000 and I run them at 2.5-2-2-5 at 250mhz with 3.1v. So they do respond well to volts. I just had to put a small fan blowing on them. They do get warm but I didn't need to take the heatspreader off to do it.
So true about the voltage. My pc4000 at 2.8v which is what they are rated at can get me 280MHz 2.5-4-4-10 and 3.0v will get me 280MHz 2.5-3-3-8.

Well I got them off of Ebay (that's why I want to take the heatspreaders off, to make sure I didn't get ripped off), so I'm not worried about the warranty. Looks like I may be investing in a booster to give them some more juice. Thanks guys.

If they're running the same chips as came on the 2x1gb ones I got today, they dont need high Vdimm. Mine are chugging merrily along at 280 Mhz 3-3-3-8-1T at 2.67V.

Hoot

Seems like there are mixed results with PC3200 Ballistix. Mine have turned out to be absolute crap thus far. The problem I have is that my board has a max VDimm of 2.8V, which is the stock voltage of these modules. With stock timings (2-2-2-6) I can't go over 210 MHz. I was able to run 220 MHz at 3-4-4-10, but SuperPi 32M failed at 230 MHz :(. I'm currently testing 225 MHz... very disappointing results for such expensive hardware.

Well with PC3200 you got what you paid for.If you wanted a higher fsb u shooukd have gotten the pc4000 its only a few bucks more and it was cheaper than the pc3200 a while back on Crucails webpage.And Im going through the same thing with OCZ PC3200 Gold(BH5).I can't do over 220 stable.I should have bought the PC4200 or VX4000

avalanche83 said:
Did you check the Booster compadability list?

Yeah, it's compatible with my motherboard. What's a good way to actively cool my RAM? Do I just need to rig a fan to blow across them?

I have a fan wedged in between my H/S and my wires to my Drives and PSU.But im gonna cut out a bracket to mount on my H/s that will hold a high speed 80mm or low speed 92mm fan

gigabit said:
Well with PC3200 you got what you paid for.If you wanted a higher fsb u shooukd have gotten the pc4000 its only a few bucks more and it was cheaper than the pc3200 a while back on Crucails webpage.And Im going through the same thing with OCZ PC3200 Gold(BH5).I can't do over 220 stable.I should have bought the PC4200 or VX4000
I know I shouldn't "expect" much more than 200 MHz from PC3200 memory, but come on, these things are ~200% more expensive than the non-Ballistix PC3200. It wouldn't surprise me if I could meet or exceed the performance of these Ballistix modules with the value ones, and that makes me angry :temper:.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
well hoot, your close but no cigar. hate to say it. the 512mb sticks use -5b G while the 1gig sticks use -5b D. and one thing you must do, ACTIVELY COOL THIS RAM!

I'm not sure what the difference is between D and G. Does G require high Vdimm to work? My D based sticks run cool to the touch at 2.67V. That's at 280 Mhz 3-3-3-8-1T.

Hoot

Hoot said:
I'm not sure what the difference is between D and G. Does G require high Vdimm to work? My D based sticks run cool to the touch at 2.67V. That's at 280 Mhz 3-3-3-8-1T.

Hoot

That's awesome for 2x1gb man! Impressive.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
That's awesome for 2x1gb man! Impressive.

-Collin-

Yeah, the same day these sticks arrived, my 2x512 Mushkin L2V2 TCCD sticks came back from RMA. I tested them first and as impressed as I was with them, these Crucial's performance "stole the show". I haven't played much with all the bios memory settings. Perhaps I could get more from them. I'm happy with the performance, though I expected something along those lines, considering how much they cost. FWIW, with virtual memory turned off, from the time the Windows logo first appears until I'm at the desktop is 7-8 seconds. Now, what to do about these new Mushkins?...

I still haven't figured out why, despite several benchmark and information applications, as well as bios, showing my sticks running at 1T, Sandra says they're running 2T.

Hoot

Back