• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would you buy ddr500 ram ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would get either the OCZ Gold VX4000 or the Mushkin Redline XP4000, both are top-of-the-line when it comes to it.

Stick with Platn Rev2's.

Janus67 said:
I would get either the OCZ Gold VX4000 or the Mushkin Redline XP4000, both are top-of-the-line when it comes to it.

And Janus as I understood he's new to OC'ing game so giving him UTT's to play with may not be the best idea if you know what I mean.

RedDragonXXX said:
Stick with Platn Rev2's.

And Janus as I understood he's new to OC'ing game so giving him UTT's to play with may not be the best idea if you know what I mean.

I agree go with the OCZ plat r2. The Redlines are incredible ram when properly feed with volts and cooled but are not for the average user.

oh okay, but the other ram is only $5 more expensive.

hey I just saw when i was looking at ocz ram on newegg, what about 2x1g kits? are those worth it instead of buying the 2x512's? (curiosity... i'm prob not going to buy)

Flip-Mode said:
I've got the PC4000 ram and its working great, when you get this ram you get "guaranteed" OC with it. Fine set of sticks.

huh? which pc4000 ram?

I bought DDR550 so ddr500 is good with me. The obvious benefit is to give you more memory bandwidth without adjusting the timings. My PC4400 goes up to 285 mhz at max voltage of course.

RedDragonXXX said:
Stick with Platn Rev2's.

But on the other hand, he has a good mobo/cpu for OC'ing and A64 3200+, gives him a lot of room for playing w/ OC. Plus he is here , a forum for OC experts, which means he wants to join the club. Why not give him something w/ more playing and more complex that which his mobo and cpu can handle too- and let him run w/ it. IMO, better mastering any art depends on its degree of complexity.

ochungry said:
But on the other hand, he has a good mobo/cpu for OC'ing and A64 3200+, gives him a lot of room for playing w/ OC. Plus he is here , a forum for OC experts, which means he wants to join the club. Why not give him something w/ more playing and more complex that which his mobo and cpu can handle too- and let him run w/ it. IMO, better mastering any art depends on its degree of complexity.

Yes he is in the right place but it would be best for him to start with TCCD/TCC5's such as Platn Rev2 and learn the basics then later on move onto UTT's.

UTT/BH are not the easiest chips to work with, unlike with TCC5's he just needs to wory about his timings since they don't require much Vdimm.

But if you want to stay in the middle you can always get some 5B G's aka Balistix which have symptoms of both TCCD/TCC5's and UTT's. These chips get around they take higher Vdimm with looser timings and tight timings as well. If you are into OC'ing and want to get some good sticks, then Balistix would be a good chooice since you will learn alot with these.

Flip-Mode said:
Doesn't my sig say??? Oh well anyway its OCZ Gold PC4000 EL rev 2.

yeah sorry i was kinda stupid and didn't think to look at your sig for that..

anyway red and ochungry I'm glad that you're debating :p
i am a nubbie at overclocking ram (i'm scared to set the timings.. and the voltages are even scarier..)
but ... i mean
okay first.

lets say I just oc my cpu (oh and this ram is going to be oc'd with a dfilanparty nf4 ultra d in case I didn't say and an amd 64 3700+ san dieago) .. and i'd be primarily just pusing my cpu around. right now my ****ty ram is limiting my cpu overclocks over 250mhz ..
so. I want to buy this DDR500 because I mainly want to oc my cpu and gfx (which is what I have been doing and am pretty comfortable with at least the gfx oc's). i need to learn a lot for changing my memory timings and voltages and everything, but ... im going to buy this once and i dont want to buy el plat 2's and then end up needing to switch if the DDR500's are only $5 more right now off of newegg...

but. will they be really hard to overclock as reddragon said? and does it matter? what if im just pushing my cpu and gfx?

johan851 said:
If that's the case, then the TCCD/TCC5 would be the best place to start out.

yeah.. well
again
all i want to do is mostly push my cpu and then go into ram..
if i was pushing my cpu, would the ddr400 limit it ?

not necessarily, that is what dividers are used for. if you don't want to use a divider I would go for the recommended PC4000 Platinum Rev2s.

... lol

:d thanks guys. now

i have two good but very different opinions

what do I do ? ... lol the price difference is $5 so i dont really care

now. reddragon suggests that I don't get the DDR500 ram because its harder to oc ( :( ) and that i can learn a lot more from the plat revis 2 DDR400

flip and everybody else say otherwise

... what should I do?

siresword said:
... lol

:d thanks guys. now

i have two good but very different opinions

what do I do ? ... lol the price difference is $5 so i dont really care

now. reddragon suggests that I don't get the DDR500 ram because its harder to oc ( :( ) and that i can learn a lot more from the plat revis 2 DDR400

flip and everybody else say otherwise

... what should I do?

TCCD will go as high as DDR600 maybe more. patriotXBLK pc3200 (DDR400) is TCCD and I believe it will do 2.5-3-3-8 1:1 @250 (DDR500) and is $159. But If you can change your ram v then you might get tighter timing. My mobo has no vdim and cpu fsb can only go up to 232. after burn-in I am amble to do 232 @ 2-3-3-7 cpu [email protected]. I am still burning-in-it seems after each ram setting burn-in 12 hrs make ram able tighter setting. link below is newegg patriot ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220033

thanks, but that ram is DDR400 and :p if im gonna buy DDR400 then im going to go wit the ocz el plat revis 2. ... and that ram is red. lol scary
anyway, is there "faster" (DDR500) TCCD ram that I can buy that's really good?

thanks, but that ram is DDR400 and if im gonna buy DDR400 then im going to go wit the ocz el plat revis 2
It would help if you stopped classifying RAM by its speed rating. There are a lot of DDR400 modules that will OC better, than DDR500, and plenty of DDR500 that outperform DDR400. When it comes to overclocking, you should be reading reviews and gathering information on overclocking results and the ICs used rather than paying attention to the speed rating. When you're looking for the best OC'ing RAM, look past the "PC3200/PC4000" sticker.

I have PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 PC3200 - it's TCCD on brainpower PCB. It's Prime95 stable at 255MHz 2.5-3-3-7, and I've never tested higher. It's good stuff.

Back