• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

use old ram or buy new?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoothenoob

Got asus a8n premium mobo w/ x2 3800 cpu

Need to know what ram would you use out of my old stock or buy something new?

My choices are:

PC-3200 Platinum Limited Edition EL DDR featuring Winbond BH-6 ICs in Dual Channel and single module configurations.

OCZ PC-3200 Limited Edition EL DDR modules will be shipping in 512MB and 1GB Dual Channel Kits as well as 256MB and 512MB single module configurations. Each module features an integrated copper heatspreader with mirrored platinum finish and is rated for CL 2-2-2-7 timings at 2.7 volts.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2004/82

or:

OCZ PC-3700 Gold Revision 2 DDR memory modules come with an integrated gold-layered heatspreader and are rated for CL 2.5-3-3-7 operation at 2.7 volts.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3700_gold_revision_2-eol

since the 3800 x2 seems to overclock well(I hope anyways)

will either of the above help me with the mobo I have, or should I look into something else.

I would like to get 2.4 or higher(=’s 240 fsb+ ???)

I have heard that low timings is more beneficial...I have the pc3200 running at 2-2-2-5 at 225 fsb at 2.9 v 1:1

the pc3700 hasnt really been used and has been just collecting dust

any ideas for me out there?

I would use the OCZ Platinum. X2 loves low latency ram. I had a A8N board and had some problems running it at high HTT. Unfortunately the bios is very limited with voltage adjustments and ram timing adjustments. Just use the memory divider when you crank up the cpu. With Decent cooling your X2 should OC 2.4~2.6 easily.

what would you consider decent cooling? all i have is factory heatsink...

thanks for the reply

voodoo

voodoothenoob said:
what would you consider decent cooling? all i have is factory heatsink...

thanks for the reply

voodoo

The factory heatsink should be fine as long as the case has decent airflow. You should be able to go 2.3~2.4 without raising the voltage on the cpu. Good cooling is very important on the dual core processors. With both cores under load the cpu can get really hot which will limit your OC.

Back