• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 bios 0512. Any of you tried it yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

Any of you using 0512 on your P5WD2? Would like to know what fixes it has. I flashed over to it this morning but so far I haven’t noticed anything different from 0509.

I am still doing fine on 304, but I attempted to flash 509 last week to check it out and it wouldn't let me because the "file size doesn't match". I haven't tried this one yet either, but I made it available here if you want to give it a shot. If you try it, let us know how it works...

RangerXLT8 said:
Didn't even know it was released yet. Where did you get it from because a qiuck google search yielded no download link?
It wasn't officially released. It was given to another user to solve an incompatibility with a Plextor SATA DVD running on the ICH7 controller. Don't do anything just because I have. Make your own decision. But I've used it very successfully. The 0304 BIOS was the worst for me. The 0422 worked quite well. I had stability problems with my RAID with 0509 and went back to 0422. The 0512 was the best OCer and was more stable then 0509. I clocked my highest OC and best benchmarks with 0512.

But if you are happy with 0304, by all means, stick with it.

Ross said:
I am still doing fine on 304, but I attempted to flash 509 last week to check it out and it wouldn't let me because the "file size doesn't match". I haven't tried this one yet either, but I made it available here if you want to give it a shot. If you try it, let us know how it works...

Thank you very much, I have a Plextor burner and sometimes it acts funny so this cannot hurt. I'm going to flash in a minute.

Stan: I've been running 0509 and so far it has been the best for ME. It let me run the 14x multi......

I've been running 0509 and so far it has been the best for ME. It let me run the 14x multi......
It's a good BIOS. Yes it does let ppl use hte 14 multi. So does 0512. I just had some stability pbms with my RAID with 0509 that I didn't have with 0512 or 0422.

0512 solved my reboot/overclocking error issue, but has created another one. The ITE controller connected ide devices work, but at each windows startup it detects but fails to install 2 primary ide and 2 secondary ide controllers. The devices on these controllers still work, but I have to let windows go through a 2 minute installation failure with 4 separate "driver not intended for this platform" errors until I can actually use windows. Three times as annoying as having to reboot a few times. This happened immediately after going to 0512. It's junked up my ide detection settings, but somehow these devices still work.

Have you tried switching back to 0509 to see if the problem goes away? That would definetly be very anoying.

hyperasus said:
Have you tried switching back to 0509 to see if the problem goes away? That would definetly be very anoying.

I was using 0422, and if reimaging (I have a very recent ghost image) doesn't work I won't have a choice. I can only disable 3/4 detected ide channels. I can't figure out what channels they are if the 4 ich7 ide channels/devices are working... if they're the sata ports I'm still at a loss since it won't accept those drivers either. Windows is stuck on stoopid. Big surprise there.

What is it with this MB and hard drives? Come on Asus lets stay focused here.

Okay, 0512 hasn't "fixed" my reboot issue, just happens less frequently now. Here's the kicker - asus updater won't let me go back to 0422 unless I find and use their dos utility. Hurray!

With each new issue I guess I should be grateful for Asus teaching me about my non-working hardware. However, I'm kinda ****ed my MSI had fewer complications at 20% less performance and 1/3 the price. With each passing second I am growing more disgruntled with this mofo mobo.

:( you definitely have grounds for a RMA, and asus is reasonably quick if you can spare the computer for a week or two. i say save yourself the hassle and send it back for one that doesn't have cold boot issues (with any luck).

Got 0422 back on (with consistent boot/reboot hanging issues again). Now I'm struggling because my copy of Systemworks 2005 didn't have a recovery cd for ghost, so now I have NO means of reimaging. It's a known problem symantec is just ignoring and hoping goes away. So, today I've added Asus and Symantec to my list of never-agains.

Is there a comparable 533mhz fsb board out there from another company? I'm going to get something else and resell this POS. Unfortunately I paid full retail so I'm going to take a HUGE hit. My fault for not being satisfied with what I had.

I have things to do and need this PC working properly (I think the sata drive is running slower than it should, which may be because I've traced those ide errors to the sata components). The best times of my life were owning a Dell and mindlessly not worrying about clock speeds, memory timings and such.

[/vent]

pinkey, I am sorry to hear that. yeah I know what you mean about Dell, but hey everyone has to keep themselves busy right? and there are only 2 things to keep you busy FUN and PROBELMS, and guess what, with asus you get both, you get the fun of overclocking madly and the problems that come with that :) but Dell is just DULL if you ask m e :cool:

Pinky said:
I'm going to get something else and resell this POS. Unfortunately I paid full retail so I'm going to take a HUGE hit. My fault for not being satisfied with what I had.
Have you tried calling Asus tech support yet? You may have a "known" issue that they may have already worked out a fix for.

BigStan said:
Have you tried calling Asus tech support yet? You may have a "known" issue that they may have already worked out a fix for.

that would be LOOOOOOOOONG shot i guess... dont think ASUS TECH SUPPORT is that much of help. but hey, i cant really tell for sure as i have not tried CALLING THEM per se. just hanging around in their OFFICIAL FORUM and you can really tell none of them are answering any inqueries.

Might be a long shot. But at least you can get an rma. Even if you do decide to sell it, you'll get a better price if it is a good working mobo.

Back to 0422 and was finally able to track down a symantec recovery disc, restored from a week old image and everything's fine. This means there was something in the 0512 bios that screwed up window's detection of either the ide controllers or the SiL sata. I'm going to try the 0509 later and see if that helps the reboot issue as the 0512 did. I'm not any happier about this but it has relieved me of some stress thinking I was going to have to resell this POS. Once I get it working I'm just going to leave it alone! :cool:

Back