• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory/HTT/Overclock Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhettoTech

Hiya all,
First time posting here and was hoping that someone can help me out.
System
amd 64 939 3000+ @ 2520mhz (9x280)
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 F8 bios
Geil Value 2x512
koolance case upgraded from 1/4od to 3/8id w/ Zalman waterblock

I am looking for some good info on memory settings and tweaks. I was able to get my system to 2520mhz using 1.475v (1.40 stock) with HTTx3, Ram set to 133mhz (thats the problem) and everything else stock for the moment.

133 (in bios) seems to be the only stable setting I can use for my memory when over clocked. I thought it should be able to at least run @ 166 (in the bios). When I run Everest I am showing that my memory is @ 180hmz even though it is set to 133 in the bios. Shouldnt I be able to get alot higher out of it? I havent tryed changing voltages and didnt feel comfortable doing it until I knew for sure that was the problem. I did not think I would have to just to get it at least back up to ddr400 speeds.
Thanks
-G

GhettoTech said:
Hiya all,
First time posting here and was hoping that someone can help me out.
System
amd 64 939 3000+ @ 2520mhz (9x280)
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 F8 bios
Geil Value 2x512
koolance case upgraded from 1/4od to 3/8id w/ Zalman waterblock

I am looking for some good info on memory settings and tweaks. I was able to get my system to 2520mhz using 1.475v (1.40 stock) with HTTx3, Ram set to 133mhz (thats the problem) and everything else stock for the moment.

133 (in bios) seems to be the only stable setting I can use for my memory when over clocked. I thought it should be able to at least run @ 166 (in the bios). When I run Everest I am showing that my memory is @ 180hmz even though it is set to 133 in the bios. Shouldnt I be able to get alot higher out of it? I havent tryed changing voltages and didnt feel comfortable doing it until I knew for sure that was the problem. I did not think I would have to just to get it at least back up to ddr400 speeds.
Thanks
-G
:welcome:
I suggest to you read the stickies here concerning overclocking before you start. the second link below by "Infinitevalance" Really helpped me acheave best result for my system that is so limited in OCing.
Your best result would be at 200mhz setting for ram in BIOS. this is 1:1 ratio(Ram:fsb). what everst is showing is what your cpu fsb could acheive w/ your ram bringing it to higher speed than 133, w/ the ratio your cpu could best find to operate.
set your ram to 200mhz and raise your cpu fsb little at a time untill not stable, then you have to either raise vcore(cpu voltage) or change your ram setting(2.5-3-3-? etc). This process is trial and error and may take you a long time. But after reading the stickies here you would understand what steps needed fisrt , second etc.. it is not a good idea without having any knowledge and jumping into OC'ng. Stickies here have helpped me a lot and has cut the (wasting)time for me.
Another suggestion to you is burn-in your cpu and ram before proceeding to Ocing. Read the stickies concerning burn-in, there you will find download links(free downloads) that will do the job.
You also need to have good ram. value select rams will give you some overclocking but if you want most out of your cpu you need to pay extera $50 for a good set of rams.
READ STICKIES.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=257741
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

thanks for the resoponse:
I went through the stickies before I posted I really didnt see what I was looking for. I did however come across a better explanation on dividers.

Here is the way you calculate out how fast your ram is running using the 9/10 ratio and a 300HTT speed:

300HTT / 10 * 9 = 270mhz memory speed.

So its always...
HTT speed divided by the second number in the ratio and then times the first number in the ratio.

and
100(Mhz)(1/02), 120(Mhz)(3/05), 133(Mhz)(2/03), 140(Mhz)(7/10), 150(Mhz)(3/04), 166(Mhz)(5/06), 180(Mhz)(9/10), 200(Mhz)(1/01).
It was from DFI-Street forums fyi.

That makes a lot of sense now. since i am running 280x9 it would be 280 / 3 * 2 = 180mhz. THe reason I cant run 166 is that would be 232 mhz (280 / 6 * 5). Since my board doesnt have 150mhz which would give me a speed of 210mhz. My question now would be shouldnt my ram be able to get to 232 no problem.

And to answer your questions I dont think dropping my OC to obtain a higher divider would help out my system. The Geil value should have no problems going to 232. I did do some shopping around before i bought the ram and people have got the timmings up to 265 with no problems.

GhettoTech said:
thanks for the resoponse:
I went through the stickies before I posted I really didnt see what I was looking for. I did however come across a better explanation on dividers.

and

It was from DFI-Street forums fyi.

That makes a lot of sense now. since i am running 280x9 it would be 280 / 3 * 2 = 180mhz. THe reason I cant run 166 is that would be 232 mhz (280 / 6 * 5). Since my board doesnt have 150mhz which would give me a speed of 210mhz. My question now would be shouldnt my ram be able to get to 232 no problem.

And to answer your questions I dont think dropping my OC to obtain a higher divider would help out my system. The Geil value should have no problems going to 232. I did do some shopping around before i bought the ram and people have got the timmings up to 265 with no problems.

I did not say drop your OC. I am saying 200 MHz setting for ram in your bios will give you 1:1 ratio. this means when you play w/ the cpu fsb the ram speed follows same #. example if your cpu fsb is set at 250, your ram will also be 250 but x2 since the ram is DDR (double data) it will be DDR500 and Everest benchmark will show it as pc4000. doing it this way you would also increase your ram and cpu bandwidth.
when I said dropping down your cpu fsb I meant starting low and raising it little at a time until you find the right, stable fsb. If you read the 2nd link I pasted and follow that you will be in a right track.
but do what you feel best for you-everyone if different. As for me I have been reading the stickies and it has helped me a lot, thanks to those taking time and generously sharing their expertise that may have taken them painstaking process to master this art.

Back