• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slot 1-3 vs 2-4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

I have my DC Ram in slot 1-3

I was noticing alot of people are puting it in 2-4

is there any preformance gain from that ?

Shouldn't make any difference from a technically standpoint. Individual systems might show a tiny bit more stability in one or the other.

Memory slots which are physically closer to the CPU/chipsets would get better "clock/data" signal quality due to shorter track layouts on the motherboard! Most OCers tend to exploit that. :)

So would there be any difference in performance if there were sticks in all four slots? Mine are in 1-3, and I never thought anything of it. When I get my future rig going, I'll probably have all the slots filled, unless I can get ahold of 2 1GB sticks...but I think that'll be a bit pricey...

Gig-O-Ram said:
So would there be any difference in performance if there were sticks in all four slots? Mine are in 1-3, and I never thought anything of it. When I get my future rig going, I'll probably have all the slots filled, unless I can get ahold of 2 1GB sticks...but I think that'll be a bit pricey...

With all four slots filled, probably NO in memory performance! Because there will be memory in other slots where signal quality isn't as good as the physical closer slot/s. Your memory controller would always try to align its timings in accordance with the "slowest" memory slot! To be predentic OCers tend to occupy ONLY those memory slots which are physically closest to the CPU/North Bridge to get the best possible memory timings. That means not all the memory slots would be filled IF you wanted to optimise your memory timings, but DC memory requirements would tend to negate the freedom of that choice! :)

You would need ALL the memory slots IF you wanted to maximise your RAMs, especially for "smaller" sticks such as 256MB or even 512MB ones, as an after thought. However if you foresee your needs prior to building/buying your PC, then use at least 512MB or bigger stick to minimise the chance of filling ALL the slots in near future. But because of technology or saving costs by manufacturers, some BIGGER memory sticks such as 1GB ones are double-sided which mean physically they look a "single stick" but actually they are equivalent to TWO sticks loading as far as the memory controller's timings are concerned. That means it will SLOW down!
You choose your memory sticks carefully!! :cool:

OCdragon said:
You would need ALL the memory slots IF you wanted to maximise your RAMs, especially for "smaller" sticks such as 256MB or even 512MB ones, as an after thought. However if you foresee your needs prior to building/buying your PC, then use at least 512MB or bigger stick to minimise the chance of filling ALL the slots in near future. But because of technology or saving costs by manufacturers, some BIGGER memory sticks such as 1GB ones are double-sided which mean physically they look a "single stick" but actually they are equivalent to TWO sticks loading as far as the memory controller's timings are concerned. That means it will SLOW down!
You choose your memory sticks carefully!! :cool:

Maybe I could just use 4x512MB to get the 2 GIGs I'd like to have. Even if some of it is slower, I would still have more memory than what I have now.

Different boards and often different memory seem to behave differently in this respect.

Try both, and compare overclockability.

Another tip for you... try "rotating" sticks between slots. Compare stick #1 in slot #1 and stick #2 in slot #2 versus stick #1 in slot #2 and stick 2 in slot #1 (slots #1 and #2 being whatever slots you use). Having the weaker memory stick in the better memory slot will net you much better results - your sticks may well currently have another good ~15 MHz in them because of a poor stick/slot arrangement.

WOW never thought about that.

altho ocz sayes these are matched sticks for duel chanel so Im guessing there almost if not identical ? maybe not, but Im satisfyed with 259fsb for now :)

maybe in the future when I clean my case Ill swap them around & test

Thankyou for the information

Back