• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram n00b questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
well ive just recently got a p3 700e that does 933 @ 133fsb right out of the box with 1.75v., and i got a swiftech slot 1 cooler (im using a slot 1 alpha right now). and my previous overclocking ventures didnt require that good of ram. but my crappy generic 512mb pc133 ram (hey it was only $20:D) wont go 140mhz (the next fsb level on my asus p3v4x).
now for my questions:

What would be the best ram for me to buy? (would prefer pc150, and at least 512mb of ram)

what is all this cas 2-2-2 and 2-3-2 stuff mean? (again im a n00b at ram specs)

and can someone give me a link to a good stick(s) of ram to buy? i need at least 512 of good overclocking ram. i just like having loads of memory :)

Edit: ohh and one more thing, if it makes it difference id want the ram in 1 stick of 512mb not 2 256mb sticks.

Last edited:
CAS/RAS etc numbers lower is always better, IE 2-2-2 is the fastest, theres plenty of good sources for this ram these days but i havent really looked into it lately, ill leave that for another forum member. 2-2-2 PC150 should be excellent for Intel overclocking

Oni said:
Crucial PC133 will aparantly do 150 w/ ease. My Micron will do 141 @ CL2. Mushkin is also very good, but I've never used it.
I'm not sure about the REV 3 pc133 but from experience the REV 2 gets flaky at 148 or so, when i had my rig that fast it started forgetting about one bank on one of the dimms <IE i have 256 megs but it would report 192 and lose the 64 on the second bank of one of the Dimms>

anyone know where i can buy a 512mb stick of pc150 ram @ the 2-2-2 timing? :)

and oni: where did you find that picture? ive been looking all over for it, heh :)

Back