• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People with Abit AN8 boards please read (2GB related)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Streifenkarl

I currently have the BallistiX Tracer 2GB Kit here, but they dont work at all with my Abit AN8-SLI, no matter what BIOS version I use, timings I try or v-dimm I set. They wont run at 1T, nor at 400MHz or let alone at the rated 500MHz. F**k! Called Abit, they said they dont have any compatibility reports right now.

I have to give the memory back to the retailer and and try to find something that works. So, does anyone here have some 2x1GB Dual Channel memory running good with any Abit AN8 motherboard? I wanted to ask here first, before I order some memory again, that doesnt work as it should. I would love to keep the Tracer, but 2T is unacceptable! :(

Just thought I'd let you know, I have an Abit IC7-G mobo with 2gb Ballistix, if I try and run them at their rated speed of DDR500 my computer boots but as soon as I try and play a game or do something intensive the computer reboots. I don't get any errors in Memtest so this is obviously a hardware problem between the memory and abit mobo's. I can run my computer if I run the memory at DDR400 but thats not what I bought it for. I've heard good reports about Mushkin's DDR500.

Have you trieds Abit website forum? I have your mobo and am having ok luck with 4x512 TCCD memory. From that Abit forum site, Ballistix flat out doesn't work on the AN8 series boards. http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

This is one guys experience-"If you want to stay with PC4000 try to get the G.Skill 2GB. It uses selected Samsung UCCC. I have no problem running them at 270MHz@1T and only need 2.7V."

just to let you know, the AN8 has issues with running 1T with ANY ram. Some people get lucky and is able to run 1T no problem. I suggest u sell that piece of crap Abit and replace it with something else. If you are not going for super extreme, the Asus A8N-E is a good board. I ran my 2gig Ballistix at [email protected] timings. I'm surprise anyone would buy that board.

Ive got an an8 Fatal1ty Ultra running 2x512mb Ballistix PC4000. I have had no problems running them at dual channel or ddr500.

At the moment i am running the system at 250 fsb x 9. mem 250mhz 2.5.4.4.8 on 2.6v.

Just highlighting that not all having trouble with ballistix

Winnie 3000+ @ 2250
an8 Fatal1ty bios.16
1GB Ballistix PC4000
6600 GT

Kidi, maybe you could list your RAM timings/settings as well as BIOS revision to see if that helps people.

I've now RMA'd the Ballistix and bought Mushkin 2gb XP4000. System is currently running rock solid at 250x14 3-4-3-8 1T @ 2.7v. I'm going to play about with the timings and see how low they'll go.

Is that Mushkin the Redline series? The timings look like the regular XP, so I'm assuming that's it. I just ordered a pair, and will probably replace my mobo with a IC7-G Max II(dual channel doesn't work on my mobo, and I don't know if it's a problem with the ram or the mobo itself). I have a p4 3.2C, so hopefully I can get the same clocks and timings as you. I'd love to hit 250mhz at stock rated timings and 1T.

Yep it's the standard XP4000 with the black heat sinks. Mushkin have also just released a new Redline XP4000 kit with timings of 3-3-2-8 @ 1T and they only need 2.8v unlike previous redline dimms that needed upto 3.4v to run at their rated timings.

Back