• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system wanted what to get??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doug1991

Registered
Hello all, Ive decided to just get a new system. I would like to get a pci-e card and my current setup only accepts agp. I have a pentum 2.4 northwood.
id like to use it if possible with the availability to upgrade to a HT chip. I also have 1 gig of 2700 memory and id like to use that also but can upgade if needed. What should i get for a Mobo and vid card. Ill mainly be playing BF2.

Thanks all

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but you don't really have any socket 478 options for PCI-E. You'll need to upgrade the CPU also and get a socket LGA775.

OK, so if i need a new system what can you guys recommend?? Ive got a good case and PS. My HD is a 80 gb 7200rpm 8mg buffer Maxtor drive.

If you want to buy a mobo that is future proof and will support the Pentium D dual core processors, then you need something with the i945 or i955 chipset, like the Asus P5WD2 or Abit AW8 or Abit AL8. If you are on a budget, then the Abit AA8XE like I have is an excellent overclocker. Pair that up with a 630 P-4 that has 2M cache. If you have good cooling, that should hit 4 gig. All of these mobos I mentioned will require a PCI-E vid card and DDR2 RAM.

Nice, and sound suggestions from Batboy as always.
//reminds himself to not do meaningless posts\\

//Christian

anyone else have any thoughts?? I want to build a decent gamming rig.

BF2 requires a really good vid card. If this is a gaming rig, that should be your number 1 priority. The overclocked P-4 socket LGA775 630 (3.0) will be a good gaming system paired up with the right vid card, like for example the Nvidia 7800 or ATI 850. If you look in my signature at my "green" rig, I have a X800 XT vid card and it will handle anything I throw at it.

Back