• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket T mobo recommendations -- Need to buy soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Basically, I am trading my 2.8E (in my sig - 2nd rig) for a P4 3.4ghz LGA775, and I don't have a board to go with it.

Here are the components that I have to put together:

3.4ghz LGA775 (I think a 550... dunno how to check)
-->Cooling with Zalman 7700CU or XP90 (not sure yet)
Leadtek 6800LE AGP 128mb (12x1,6vp @ 425/950 stable)
DDR or DDR2 ram (hopefully I can do DDR2 with AGP, but I dunno I can)
Fortron FSP530
200gb WD Sata

The rest shouldn't really be important at all. It's all in my sig in the 2nd rig anyways.

So here is the problem. I really want to use my DDR2 ram, but I cannot find a Socket T mobo with AGP and DDR2. I guess DDR2 doesn't work with AGP, which I never knew until now. If I am wrong, then someone link me to a good board that can do AGP and DDR2. I mean, if boards can do PCI-E and regular DDR, then you would think the other combo may work as well.

In any case, I want a decent OCing board, and I don't want to spend too much. Give me something good to look at. :D I'm going to have my Abit IC7-G MaxII to sell in classies probably, so that should bring me some cash to use.

K, so it seemed by the newegg search that I couldn't do DDR2 with AGP. :(

Should I upgrade to PCI-E, or should I just stick it out with my 6800LE (that I purchased recently anyways) and just do regular DDR.

The only difference i could find are the following:
AS8 has Firewire, Raid 0/1, ICH5R and 5 PCI slots
AS8-V, no firewire, no Raid capability, ICH5 and 4 PCI slots

I think i would go for the AS8 none V just because of the ICH5R, might i suggest a look at the DFI Lanparty 875P-T its based of the 875 chipset anyways.

//Christian

i would go with a pci-e. although its up to you if you really want to be future proof and the prices of pci-e X800 series cards have been surging at zzf and newegg has a x850pro for 250 if you want another high end vid card or just get a cheap x300/600 if its a backup system or something.

If you plan to get pci-e, zipzoomfly happens to have the ASUS p5gd2 premium for just 125(paid 134 with tax) which i just ordered. Out of the DFI, ABit, Asus, and MSI boards this was the best deal for a good mobo with oc options, unless you have a personal preference.

Sshadow said:
The only difference i could find are the following:
AS8 has Firewire, Raid 0/1, ICH5R and 5 PCI slots
AS8-V, no firewire, no Raid capability, ICH5 and 4 PCI slots

I think i would go for the AS8 none V just because of the ICH5R, might i suggest a look at the DFI Lanparty 875P-T its based of the 875 chipset anyways.

//Christian

How much is that DFI? The AS8 is in a good price range, and it's only $6 more than the lower model AS8-V, so I wouldn't mind doing that.

As for buying a PCI-E board... I don't think I'm gonna do that. This is to be my SECONDARY rig, not MAIN, so I don't care about upgradeability. I always use spare, extra parts for a 2nd rig anyways. My main rig is the A64 with PCI-E x850xt... yes, I already jumped on ZZF's deals.

D94 has a DFI in the classifieds for very very cheap.

I love my DFI so far clocks like mad and has up to 3.2v available unmodded I would go for that some decent cooling and you'll have an easy 4ghz. My 550 did without thinking about on stock air.

I think your out of luck on DDR-2 and AGP though.

And the point is outside of classifieds.... shame on you both ... :p
*makes stubborn face at d94 and hainer*
*puts on pigears and squeeeks*

You can't go wrong with the DFI board, if it doesn't suit your taste the AS8 is well and all.

//Christian

:D he i gotta help him out.....i told him id buy it in about a month......and i dont have money, besides ive traded with both D94 and g0dM@n on different occassions.....they know my word is good :D

but ya the DFI imo is the best board for LGA and AGP (lag n gap)

I bought the AS8-V when the price difference was more like $15, and I'm very, very happy with it. Did the vdroop mod to stabilize my vcore and that went pretty smoothly. I was researching basically the same thing and I settled on the Abit. I've really enjoyed the overall feel and stability of the board.

Oh man... decisions. Start a vote... so far:

AS8 = sentential, johan851 --> 2 votes
DFI = hainer36, d94, speed bump --> 3 votes

Grrrr... come on, guys... don't split me up. I need a good answer! Since d94 is trying to sell his board I can't really count his vote in this, lol... so...

2 votes AS8
2 votes DFI

Never had a problem with DFI boards except that I can't find my receipt for the last one I killed and this I feel like my CPU isn't good enough for it( I can only get scary screen shots at 4.5ghz I wan't them at 5ghz.:) )

Well, I'm having 2nd thoughts... fishy is telling me that his dfi sucked butt, and that I shoulda gotten the AS8. If I got the AS8 I woulda gotten all the accessories and the whole shabang. With d94's board I only get "the board." Damn kid can't even find the I/O shield now... grrr...

just contact DFI, they sent me the I/O shield, stickers, case-badge, drivers, for free and if you wanna pay a little, you can actually get the entire retail stuff

Back