• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SquallRm

Registered
I play battlefield 2, lag is a pain. I know i need Ram.
Ram is my worst subject, i hate it. Please .. please give me advice.

My specs are on my sig.
I own Corsair XMS 512 DDR400 Corsair XMS 512 DDR400

Delima, i dont have a lot of money so please spare me :(
around 80, not too high please.
Just link me to what you guys think is best for me to buy.

P.s. this isnt about overclocking, this is to enjoy my game with less load
lag.

Ouch, 512MB of ram for BF2? That's gotta hurt.

Anyways, almost all reviews and everyone would HIGHLY recommend 2GB of ram for BF2, it's been known to give 10-15fps more then 1GB. But buying new ram to upgrade from 512MB should benefit too.

But, since your budget for new ram is only around $80, you won't be able to afford a 2x1GB set, which can set you back about $230.

For $80, I just recommend buying a 2x512MB set of Value Ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

I recommend putting those two sticks in dual channel, but it depends on your motherboard, some motherboards are dual channel with DIMM 1 and DIMM 2, but some others are DIMM 1 and DIMM 3. So just set the two Corsair Value in dual channel and put your XMS in some other extra slot, totaling your ram at 1.5GB.

It is one of the cheapest ways to go my man. 2x1gb sets are still rather expensive.

ok i got it, thank you for the replies.

i will post here how it goes.

You could always pay a little more for slightly faster ram, or better latency, but that's up to you. If you have around $110-$120 to spend you may be able to get your hands on UTT. That is of course only if you want to do that. Are you going to overclock your computer at all?

im overclockign right now, but im not hard driven on super clocking. i get 2.2Ghz with ram i have now and its only 230mhz. thats the speed that was reported on the ram i bought.
i think it will settle nicely for me.

Well, if you want a better OC, take out the XMS 512MB ram for OCing tests. It's much easier to OC if you just have the 2x512MB Corsair Value set in, since mixing ram will cause a bit of problems for OCing.

If you want a better OC, the next set up would be ram around $170, like some OCZ ram, but also some UTT ram at $120ish should be sufficient, but not TOO much of a difference from your Corsair Value I guess.

Whatever you do, make sure you run 1T command rate dual channel. Anything with cas 2.5 will suit you decently well.

g0dM@n said:
Whatever you do, make sure you run 1T command rate dual channel. Anything with cas 2.5 will suit you decently well.

thank you i was looking for information about dual channel

I also wanted to let you know that you don't need the same exact brand ram to run dual channel. As long as they both have similar timings and rated speeds, then they may very well work perfectly... although, in rare cases there could be a compatibility issue, but messing with the settings should always get you goin.

I'm saying this b/c I'm running a mixed-matched pair for my cousin's PC b/c it cost us less.

In my case I just refused to spend another 300 bucks with some memory again, so I decided to keep my 2x512MB Mushkin Redlines and added some old Mushkin BH6 2x256. I know that is like mixing UTT with BH6, but they work pretty well together!!! As I noticed BF2 uses average 1.3GB of memory and not 2GB as widely mentioned. So I'm now with 1.5GB and I can run BF2 max settings smooth and without any issues. Obviously I had to use CPC=off (2T) but that's a minimum trade off as my memory have tight timings and runs at DDR550. Not bad at all my memory latency is under 40us ;)

Last edited:
Never got 270 even with only the Redlines...

I'm stable with this 1.5GB/4 sticks at ~260 and 3.4V

Fixed my BF2 issues, spent $0 and keep some decent performance. BTW $399 for a pair of Ballistix is insane...

Last edited:
You said DDR550 earlier, and that's why I said "wow, 275mhz." Now that you say it 260mhz sounds more like it. That would be DDR520 and not DDR550. That's why I was so surprised actually, lol.

Im really in trouble here. finally the memory arived and i put the Value select in CHA, and then i put the XMS in CHB. Guess what, it gives me a beep and wont start the pc. i tried all kinds of combinations. I checked they are all DDR400.

Am i ****ed here do i have to send the RAM back?

Did you clear CMOS and then try again? Also, have you tried each stick one by one? If so, do both work in single channel? If they do, then you should do a bios flash. If one of them doesn't post by itself, then you found yourself a dud stick.

Give me more info and I can help. Tell me which stick exactly, what size they are, speed (assuming 400), etc...

Ok this is what i know so far.
DD400 or PC3200

right now the two Sticks i bought are working together to give me 1Gb of Ram,
Mobo tells me they are running 100mhz. (single stick said 200)

I can run in these combinations:
I told my bios to do Fail-Safe Defaults.
The two new sticks in dual channel or seperate channels.
The XMS worked before.
The XMS is only recognizable when there is no dual channel.

Here are the links to the Memory.
The XMS(old):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145416
The ValueSelect(new):
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145440

Wait a sec, so you're trying to run 3x512? You can't. You can do 1x512, 2x512, or 4x512. I don't think you can do 3x512 dude.

What you can do if you want 1.5 gigs is 2x512 and 2x256, but definitely not 3 of the same size.

Ok thats the problem then =(
Its allright i guess, i'll save up some dough and buy that corsair xms counter part.

Let me ask you this so i wont have to send them back, will it work when i buy the second stick of 512?

ok thanks oh and as for dual channel i had the channels wrong..
i thought u put the dual sticks in CHA but its really 1 in CHA the other in CHB

Back