• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird, crackly Refurb RAM from newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I experienced the weirdest thing last night... I have bought newegg refurb ram so many times, but this one set was REALLY WEIRD.

One of the modules didn't post. They were 2x512 TwinMOS 3200 refurbs for like $67. Anyways, one wasn't posting at all no matter what. I ended up looking at the ram and gave it a VERY SLIGHT BEND while looking at it... I'm sure you've all done that... no pressure really, just twisting my hands just a TINY BIT... it was making CRACKLY sounds, as if the ram is DRIED OUT. It makes me think that maybe the previous owner gave it mucho voltage and burnt it out? Who the hell knows, but it is just weird.

It sounds like the contacts from the ram chips to the pcb must be bad or weak. Anyone have a clue?

Now, although it was 20 days passed the date I purchased, and 15 days is the refund limit on refurbs, newegg still granted me the refund. This topic is in no way bashing newegg at all... I was just mentioning where it was from.

Make sure you ALWAYS test out refurbs! This one was quite odd. I feel like I may have witnessed this before, but never really thought about it.

Am I an oddball here, or has anyone else heard of or seen this b4?

Hi there g0dM@n 2005. This is g0dM@n from year 2007. I just wanted to let you know that you should know better than testing refurb RAM 20 days after purchase. SHAME ON YOU!!

piotrr said:
Wouldn't it be weird if g0dM@n from 2005 would turn up and defend himself?
g0dM@n from 2005 has been away on vacation for 2 years, but he said he was coming back first week of April 2007.

Mav, I'm on #3... having it with my egg whites right now... the Executive Director is here @ my job and he keeps asking for my IT help on his laptop... delayed my breakfast for about an hour. :(

g0dM@n said:
Mav, I'm on #3... having it with my egg whites right now... the Executive Director is here @ my job and he keeps asking for my IT help on his laptop... delayed my breakfast for about an hour. :(

Hehe, Isn't that how it ends up happening in the IT world?

One Bull said:
I don't get it :S
g0dM@n from 2005 was being a bad boy, and I had to come here and repremand his ***!!

Sheepeeshaun said:
Surely knowing not to bend RAM is more important than testing it within 20 days :eek:
it was an accidental bend... not intentional. basically, a slight twist (i mean VERY VERY VERY slight, just by handling) make a crackling sound... that's why i gave it a SLIGHTLY more twist. it was very noticeable. if you had that stick of ram in your hand, you would have noticed yourself.

of course, this is all hearsay by what g0dM@n from 2005 said. where is he anyway? he shoulda been back from vacation already.

Back