• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SDRAM sizes and compatibility.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevin-h

I have an old (ish) PC - P4 with 256 SDRAM (133MHz).

My Motherboard has 3 slots for RAM. I have recently added a 256 bar of SDRAM giving me 512 now with only one slot left.

My question is this;
With this old SDRAM am I limited to bars of RAM of 256 or can I get hold of 512 per bar which would then allow me to considerably increase my RAM size? Or I am limited to a maximum of 3 x 256?

Help with this query would be greatly appreciated.

kevin-h

it depends on the motherboard itself. you should not have an issue with a 512mb module. double check with the motherboard manufacturer to see the max memory the board can handle.

well

since that is such an old board - and only has 3 slots i am going to say the max ram is 1.5g's - so yes a 512 should be fine.

What model is the mobo ?

The motherboard is by Micro Star and has the number MS6391 (ver.1) on it. Is this the motherboard type?

kevin-h

That it is - i had a microstar board i had to fix for someone and it took em FOREVER! to find the details of the mobo

http://www.google.co.cr/search?hl=en&q=microstar+MS6391&spell=1

Does it look like this

http://www.labora.ru/catalog/index.php?node_id=277&id=2298&show_all=1

from what i can see

Три 168-контактных разъема для модулей памяти SDRAM. Максимальный размер поддерживаемой памяти 3ГБ, с использованием 16/64/128/256/512Мб технологии (Внимание: Так как чипсет 845 не полностью поддерживает модули памяти PC100, настоятельно рекомендуется устанавливать модули PC133 DIMM для лучшей производительности и стабильности системы. Не гарантируется стабильность системы, если установлены модули PC100 DIMM).

it takes PC100 / PC133 and can hande 16/64/128/256/512mb sticks in each slot so my intial guess ws correct - 1.5g total ram capable. :)

The mobo can also handle from 1.3 - 2ghz P4 CPU's (liekly only the 400mhz FSB ones)

That's the fella Mr.Guvernment.

Thanks for your help - you are indeed a star!!

Regards,

kevin-h

Back