• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which mobo for new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stocki

Registered
I have to get my friend a new pc. he now has a leptop and it is crap.
I am not sure which board to pick so it would be great if you guys could help me.
The system should have a dual core pentium, a 6800 GT and about 1 or 2 GB of Ram and a 2*200GB Raid array.
I thought about the asus p5wd2 premium. It has a lot of good features.
The 4 raid controllers are very interesting i think :)
I am not sure if it is worth the money and if it does overclock well
Hope you can help me with this...

Besides the reboot error issue at POST (only when overclocking) I'm very pleased with the P5WD2-p. However, the fact I spent a bundle on the mobo and have any issues ticks me off. Hopefully in time a bios update will solve the minor annoyance. I'm not sure about the ide raid, I think they're only 33/66/100 ATA channels which isn't too terrible in raid 0 but wouldn't be great in raid 1 or 0+1. If you're using SATA then nevermind that. Other nice feature is the onboard sata being native to windows XP, meaning no annoying drivers to install from a floppy during XP setup. I haven't used the onboard sound but it specs very well and gets decent reviews online.

Back