• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Dimensions 8300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cowboy2199

Hey yall, new here so be nice. My quarry is that I have a Dell DIM 8300 with a P4 2.6GHz on an Intel 875P motherboard. Dell also called it a Canterwood 875P is that a manufacturer of motherboards? Anyway, I am trying to set up a case fan for it, cause its getting to warm for me to overclock my Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 graphics card. This thing is fast enough and built solid enough to handle whatever I have thrown at it and come back spittin at me, but I dont know how I can add a case fan. I would rather not have to make case modifications but if I have to, well then I have to. But I have no place to power up the fan from. I have limited funds, and cant spend a whole lot to buy a fan controller and the programs I downloaded off the web just dont have any info for this motherboard. can anyone help me Identify the maker of this thing.. LOL I mean this thing has 800MHz FSB and 768Mb ram, so all i need is an upgraded graphics card and a case fan or 2, but dont know how I can power them up. Please help..

Did you look inside the case for a place to mount the fan, most cases will have at least one spot in the front of the case in the lower part and another spot in the back above the expension slots, if there is no place to mount it you can either get a new case or modify yours, and if you don't have a three pin fan connector on the mobo for a fan don't worry because you can get on to plug into a 4 pin molex from the psu.

AVG, Thanks for the input, but here is what I have and what I have done for the short term.
First, this is Dell we are talkin bout.. LOL The CPU fan has a shroud setup so that that the place where the case fan would go in the rear above the PCI slots, is used for CPU cooling. As for a space in the front, there is a tiny spot looks to be about 2in(max) in the lower right hand corner of the front of the tower.. Too small to mount a case fan worth doing anything.
Here is what I did yesterday to help with my problem(and I noticed a considerable change in airflow after doing this). First I moved my cards around in the PCI slots. Then I realized I have a dial-up modem in there, so I ejected that POS. Then I moved the blank around so that it is directly below the graphics card (AGP, so the card cant move), and left it open for incoming air to pull across my GPU. So far seems to be workin better than what it was, and no heat issues. I feel NO heat coming from the case, the air is cool and closer to ambient temps.
I realize this is NOT an ideal way to do this, but given my limited resources and what I have work with on the case.. Its no worse than what there was, and as far as dust getting in there, it gets in there anyway, but I dont have to worry about large stuff gettin in there, the tower is about 12in from the wall inside my comp desk tower storage. I have left the back open and the front for optimum cooling.
Thanks for the advice, I didnt mean I was new to computers, I am just new to this forum and I was lookin to see if anyone had any good ideas for modding my case without getting a new one. I have limited Financial resources.. So that's all I meant by that.. Thanks for the input though.

Good idea, many people have done the same thing with good results.

I put one of those blower type fans in just below my X800Pro it takes a pci slot but when you only need one for a gigabyte 10/100/1000 card and another for sound you have the room. Does your case split apart like my 4550 does? The other thing I did was to dump that stock fan in Dells cooling duct for a more powerfull one. The blower works great it keeps things much cooler. Im dumping my Dell POS mobo because they no longer support it and the last BIOS update was almost 3 yrs ago.

Back