• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unbuffered System Memory vs Registered System Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolfOC

Registered
to me ram has always been pritty much ram but

i see it alot more lately out here then ever so i was woundering whats the deal with Unbuffered

System Memory and Registered System Memory which one is better also does registerd have any

compatibilltiy problems with alot of systems or is it pritty much just the same stuff?

With Unbuffered memory the chipset deals directly with the memory itself and there is nothing in between the two parties as they communicate.

Registered memory places much less of an electrical load on the memory controller and therefore makes it possible to have as many as 16 or 32 modules in a large system and therefore is most likely used in large servers.

So therefore if you want to use registered memory be sure to check that the mobo you have or are buying uses a chipset that requires the use of registered memory, but most of these mobo's are aimed at the server market since most of the people still use unbuffered.

Back