• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Best PC3200 (DDR400) Memory? Fast Answers!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DohDoh

Hey all,

I want to overclock my CPU (Intel 3Ghz) very soon and so I want great to excellent DDR RAM. Rock solid performance is what I am after!

Limits:

2 x 512MB Sticks (1GB total)
Under $200 (cheap as possible!)

Corsair? Crucial? Kingston?

Go ahead peeps give it to me! Quickly please! (Hopefully by today!)

Thanks! :cool:

without enough juice for UTT based memory ur choices are either Crucial or TCCD/TCC5 modules..

just take your pick.. TCCD/TCC5 is on many products from different manufacturers..

I want people to give me a memory brand model that either read great reviews on them or personally has experience with it.

Personally I think either the Crucial BallistiX 3200, GEIL UltraX oder Mushkin Redline 3200 are runner ups for the "best 3200" memory. OCZ, Corsair and Kingston have good stuff too, but I prefer the companies named above. :cool:

Only my two cents though.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
crucial ballistix pc3200/4000 they are great, they usually oc great, and ive seen em hit ddr623. you could get some pc4800 from patriot, its only like 180 or something liek that.

My motherboard only accepts PC3200/DDR400. Will getting something higher (PC3200+) be an advantage or disadvantage?

well, if you get pc4000, its guarenteed to run ddr500. thats basicially why you get ram rated over pc3200. in your mobo it will run on the ddr400 setting, and it will guarentee that if you chip can run fsb 250, then ram wont hold you back.

I use Kingston Value RAM PC3200DDR 184 pin. I got 2 512 sticks @ Circuit City for 75 bucks after rebate! :)

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
well, if you get pc4000, its guarenteed to run ddr500. thats basicially why you get ram rated over pc3200. in your mobo it will run on the ddr400 setting, and it will guarentee that if you chip can run fsb 250, then ram wont hold you back.

So your saying that I could use a higher memory stick and will not cause any problems when overclocking my CPU?

Do you recommend PC4000 or should I go higher or lower?

I want FAST RAM that would be a good partner with my CPU.

when you overclock your FSB you overclock your ram as well.. so say u overclock your FSB up to 250mhz u can rest assured that your ram can handle 250 if you get PC4000 modules..

but it differs on different platform.. so u might want to enquire about compatibility first

Getting higher frequency ram, such as PC4000, would help your OC and almost guarantee your speeds to run at that rate, but then for the price you pay for those, it may not be worth it. You can just OC PC3200 to those speeds, but then there's also a chance you wont be able to hit those speeds.

I'd recommend OCZ ram for OCing, and probably Mushkin Redlines for even better OCing, but they require active cooling and etc.

DohDoh said:
I want people to give me a memory brand model that either read great reviews on them or personally has experience with it.

PDP Patriot XBLK. (2.5-3-4-10-1t, DDR602 for 512 x 2 Mb)
(See my posts in the DRAM Database link in my sig)

All my results have been with an Athlon64, but the previous owner of my sticks could run 290 2.5-4-4-x on an Intel Rig. For < $165 on newegg, these are a steal. AFAIK, they have TCCD Chips on them. I queried a PDP engineer about this in June-July and he assured me that they had TCCD chips on them.

Why limit yourself to PC3200?

Unless you enjoy spending your money several times, buy once for all. Get a set of Crucial Ballistix 2x1Gb PC4000s from NewEgg around $310. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I'm running them as I type this at 300 Mhz 3-3-3-8-1T at 2.77Vdimm on a DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D based board. I haven't even tried massaging the memory parameters for more yet.

One caveat though. Having just spent many months trying to beat two different NF3 Ultra-D motherboards into submission, I gotta say the move to an NF4 based system has reduced my consumption of aspirin considerably. Those NF3 Ultra-D 939 boards have some kind of issue getting the most out of memory, no matter what brand you buy. That's just my experience.

Hoot

Listen to Super Nade. I just bought that kind of memory (PDP Patriot PC3200 XLB) from Zipzoomfly for less than $160. It took no effort to get them to the speeds my sig shows. In fact, they can go even higher, but then I have to lower my HTT (therefore my CPU OC) and loosen the timings to 3-4-4. They are rated right on the sticks themselves for PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5, and PC4000 (or maybe its 4200) @ 3-4-4-something. They are awesome sticks.

Patriot PC3200 XBLK is rated at 2.8volts?

My memory slot on my motherboard states it's rated 2.5 volts, will the Patriot memory KILL my memory slot?

Mate,
The XBLK is rated at 2.6V. However, DDR600 frequencies require 2.9V (absolutely).
Is there an option in your BIOS to bump up the DRAM Voltage to 2.9V?

You won't burn your motherboard, but you will have stability issues if you try overclocking @2.5V

Back