• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 sticks of 512mb. What do I need to know.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

briman1000

I want to add 2 more sticks to my comp listed below for a total of 2gb. They do not sell the memory I already have so what should I get. I want to maintain the specs I am at now. mem at 2.5-3-3-10 @220fsb.

Like I said you should save your money and buy 2GB 1GBx2 since they don't cost that much these days.

Technically you could get another 2x512MB of UTT/BH sticks like XP3200's Redlines or look for some value VX's on Ebay. But with 4 sticks you will be forced to run under 2T command rate.

I cannot find them anywhere and at 220 mhz they do not run 2t anyway on my board.
This stupid epox mobo I have only puts 2.8v to the ram. I hear these babies will hum with more voltage but I do not have that option.

briman1000 said:
at 220 mhz they do not run 2t anyway on my board.

With 2 sticks it will run under 1T but if you were to add another two with total of four sticks you will be forced to use 2T. That's why most people who go 2GB get 1GBx2 to avoid 2T.

briman1000 said:
I cannot find them anywhere and at 220 mhz they do not run 2t anyway on my board.
This stupid epox mobo I have only puts 2.8v to the ram. I hear these babies will hum with more voltage but I do not have that option.

As reddragon is trying to explain, you will lose w/ 4x512. A64 mobo will run on 2T w/ 4 sticks. This will decrease your machin's performace. The only way to run @ 1T w/ 4 sticks is if you find single side sticks(one side banks). but I dont think there is any 512. you might find 256 single side, so this will brings you to 1.5gig(2x512+2x256). For now your best bet is 2x1gig.

What I was trying to say is that under my present setup with 2 sticks It is not stable @220mhz 2.5-3-3-10 1t so I run it under the same settings but 2T. I would just be using the same settings but with 4 sticks. will this work for me. I cannot find this same ram anywhere so what should I get that is compatible for the lowest amount of money yet still overclockable a little.

briman1000 said:
Should I be able to run my current memory @ 1T. It won't boot. Any ideas.
you probably has oc'd too high. start at lowest fsb (200) and ram on auto and see if 1T. if so then start overclocking little at a time
see the stickies here the steps .
you probably have to raise vdim and vcore at some point of oc when unstable.
If you buy another 2x512 sticks you can put them in the other 2 dimms and all 4 should work fine(2T). not all 4 have to be same brand but as long the 2 pairs are same speed. another word 2x512 DDR400 vx + 2x512 DDR400 of other should be fine. But it does not make much sense to go as high as 2800 mhz cpu but in 2T when you can do 2400mhz 1T. I bet you the 2400 mhz 1T will give you better benchmarks.

Back