• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wtf kingston ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dfi-Boy

ok i picked up some kingston hyperx ram low lat... so im pullinmh the heat shelds off them and see that 1 out of 3 sticks is tcc5 ram wtf is up with that on the chips 1 stick ays samsung tcc5 the other to sticks just say kingston

Kingston uses whatever chips they have available that will meet their basic timings requirments. They don't advertise it is a certain chip so it's pot luck.

I have two sticks of kingston 2700 in my comp right now, one says winbond bh-6, the other is "kingston" branded ram chips, but if you look them up they are also winbond bh6, i forget what part of the chip code tells you what chip maker they are from but i think it was towards the end.

Dfi-Boy said:
ok i picked up some kingston hyperx ram low lat... so im pullinmh the heat shelds off them and see that 1 out of 3 sticks is tcc5 ram wtf is up with that on the chips 1 stick ays samsung tcc5 the other to sticks just say kingston

Do those "Kingston" sticks have any codes on them at all, or simply the Kingston name?

If they have any codes...could you post them or even better, a pic of the module would be really good.

It might allow us to find TCC5 in the value ram if we know what to look for.

Dfi-Boy said:
Most likely the unmarked chips are UTT.

Reefa_Madness said:
Do those "Kingston" sticks have any codes on them at all, or simply the Kingston name?

If they have any codes...could you post them or even better, a pic of the module would be really good.

It might allow us to find TCC5 in the value ram if we know what to look for.
Reefa I want to go ahead and warn you about this now. Sadly TCC5 will never "show up" in value RAM. Why you ask? Well, the problem is that TCC5 is rated at PC3700. :(

don't worry, kingston 2x 1GB stick value ram ddr400 pc3200 is all i need for a beautiful experience. who cares about where they were made and what marks are on 'em.

dpgthing said:
don't worry, kingston 2x 1GB stick value ram ddr400 pc3200 is all i need for a beautiful experience. who cares about where they were made and what marks are on 'em.

Me...and a host of others.

Sentential said:
Reefa I want to go ahead and warn you about this now. Sadly TCC5 will never "show up" in value RAM. Why you ask? Well, the problem is that TCC5 is rated at PC3700. :(

Well, I didn't really ask, but since you brought it up...

As most people that have an interest in the ICs used in various modules know, Kingston is notorious for using whatever ICs are available at any given time. They are only concerned that the ICs used in KVR modules perform to the mininum specs of those modules.

Given that Hynix BT-D43, a DDR400 part, has shown up in many KVR PC2700 modules I would not rule out the possibilities that some TCC5, under the right conditions...such as in when approaching EOL, could also find its way into some KVR, hence my interest in the codes imprinted on the KVR ICs.

It doesn't ever hurt to know what it is that you are looking for...as that always makes it easier to recognize it when you see it.

Back