• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing brands...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastDogNo7

Ok, today I ordered 512Mb of Kingston Hyper X, pc2700. I already have 256mb of.. I think crucial ram in here. Might be ocz.. I just don't remember. I plan on putting the new Kingston in slot 1, now my question is, will my computer produce better benchmarks without the 256, or with it. I realise with it, it has more ram, but it's not the same kind, so I was wondering if there would be a discrepency between the two, which would cause lower preformance.

barton xp 2800+ (333) (2.08g)
chaintech 7vjl
fx 5900

^--some of the system specs if they help or not..

thanks

:welcome: To the forums!

Generally speaking in terms of RAM it is best to have all one flavor, you can still mix and match. What matters most if that you buy ram that has the same ability to maintain the same clock speed with the same voltage and timings.

So long as all the sticks have the same capability you can mix and match chips. However it is a rare occurance to be able to successfully pull such a thing off.

Back