• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Broke A Mosfet Off My Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supergt99

the one next to the agp port. i broke it off(dont ask)

can they be replaced? how to i remove the remaining piece of the old one? are they glued down on the board? where can i get a replacment? im about to have a conipcition (spelling?)

I doubt it was a mosfet. Mosfets are the square shaped objects you usualy see near the cpu socket, I doubt there would not be any next to the agp slot. And, a mosfet would be teribly difficult to knock off. I'd bet it was a capacitor as musawi suggested. They are the cylendrical objects that stick up from the board. Much easier to break off.

camera-flash-5.jpg

Did it look like this?

If it did, give us the information off of it and we might be able to find you a replacement. Also, how good are you at soldering?

EDIT: just saw your post, disregard then :p

What board are you using? See if you can get a picture of it and perhaps some information off of it if there is any. (you might have to take off that sink.)

no it was a mosfet. i should have explained more. i had a heatsink epoxied on there. small little black square. i was trying to pry it off as it was interfering with my new setup and broke the mosfet off. now my comp wont post. im assuming if its replacable that my board will work again. i feel stupid now :(

supergt99 said:
no it was a mosfet. i should have explained more. i had a heatsink epoxied on there. small little black square. i was trying to pry it off as it was interfering with my new setup and broke the mosfet off. now my comp wont post. im assuming if its replacable that my board will work again. i feel stupid now :(
Yeah, it should work fine once replaced. But, If it had a sink on stock it was probably needed to keep the mosfet cool.

Anyway, see if you can get any information off the mosfet. Liek I said above, you may need to pry the sink off.

I have a few dead MAX 3's so if you can post a pick of the one you need I will send it to you. I think they are the same?

yea i think the max 3 is the same. how are they mounted on the board? im waiting for my camera to charge so i can post a pic. its not actually the AGP, its the first PCI slot.

the heatsink is what i mounted on there because of extreme overclocks with my old prommy.

I think this will be a good point to ask about mosfets :>

I plan to add an extra phase to my nf7. But the im not to sure about how the mosfets im adding have to be soldered on... there are 3 legs to a mosfet and the back of the mosfet.

Is soldering to the middle pin the same as soldering to the back?
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41645 has some picks of what i wanna do but he says the mosfets gets extra hot, but as it happens my old mobo had mosfet heatsinks that attach to the back of the mosfet. this board is the only board ive seen when they use the 3rd leg on the mosfet so i would assume that the middle pin is the same as linking to the back of the mosfet i would just like some confirmation.

You may just need to resolder that thing back on. What i would do if you need one of mine is just solder it off and send it to you. Heres a pic, is it one of these? You can see that I also had them sinked.

Attachments

• mo.jpg
    mo.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 233
it looks like the smaller one. how do i unsolder from the board? half of it is till soldered on the board. the other half came off with the heatsink. this sucks.

LoneWolf121188 said:
who's the guy that resoder's pins on CPUs? I've seen his website...He also does mobo repairs...

You talking about Motherboard Repair ?

Yeah I heard good things about them, you might want to contact him and see whether or not he can repair it.

Well its broken alright. Ive actually never unsoldered a mosfet from a MB but I think its just like unsoldering any other microcomponent. I have soldered wires to a few. You may want to post a thread in volt modding, those guys most likely have removed a mosfet or two. The link above, MB repair, is a good place. I have had work done from him and its good and relatively inexpensive.

Soldering delicate electronic components (and desoldering 'em) probably should be done by someone that has experience. It takes a specialized equipment. If you get something too hot, you will mess up the motherboard even worse. Most mosfets I've seen on motherboards don't attach the third middle leg. I have a dead IC7 that I never got around to throwing away. PM me if you can't find the parts you are looking for anywhere else.

it runs really hot, i put a small little heatsink on it and it seems to be doing a good job!

Back