• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Throttling on AS8 when too much vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I just vdroop modded my AS8 so now it doesn't drop the vcore that much anymore.

So I tried to push my 540 to pass 4ghz. However, when I feed it above 1.55v I start getting throttling on the cpu.

Anyone knows how to solve this throttling problem?

i don't think it's the problem of overheating. even with 1.6v the temp is still under 60C. also, at 250fsb and 1.5vcore the cpu does not throttle. however, when i upped the vcore to 1.6 and let the fsb remain at 250 the throttling problem pops up again.

i do have the new bios 18, but i doubt that has something to do with this.

Thermal throttling is heat related. The CPU won't throttle unless it's too hot. High vcore really raises temps. Normally, Abit mobos read temps a little higher than what they are, but maybe in this situation, it's reading lower. The other possibility since you have the AS8 with i865 chipset is the mosfets are flakey out at high vcore. Anything above 1.5v is going to stress the power circuitry. Double check to make sure your power supply voltage rails (+12v and 3.3v) aren't dropping too much under load, although looks like you do have a good PSU.

still waiting for the ramsink to get here so i can put them on.

i'll see what happens after i put the ramsinks on.

im running an intel 640 3.2 @ 4Ghz with the mem at 250 at 1.55 and no problems what are your temps, with the new 18 bios im at 28-30 idle and no more than 49 max, i think those might be lower than what they are supposed to but thats whats its reading what do yours say?

i did few more tests and i m pretty sure my cpu is not overheating.

i ran it again last nite with the ac on the cpu temp is around 55c and pwd is around 50c, but it still throttled at 255fsb @ 1.55v. i had no throttling at 1.5v even with cpu temp around 58c.

How are defining "throttling"? Are you actually running a program called Throttlewatch or are you just seeing a decline in performance?

Let's be logical here. At 1.5v you don't have a problem, but at 1.55v you do have a problem. Higher voltage generally means higher temps. It appears to be either overheating or overvolting or both.

i downloaded Throttlewatch and showed throttling when I ran pcmark04. Also the score is dramitically lower from 6200s (4ghz) to 4200s (4.08ghz).

Thermal throttling that is detected by the program Throttlewatch means the CPU is running too hot. Pure and simple.

Back