• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo major..TCCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdamocles

I've noticed in the Newegg site that the Buffalo major 1gig stick uses the tccd chips....Does the 1gig(2x512mb) dual channel kit use tccds?

Has anyone used these sticks with good results?

Tom

While I can not speak for the Buffalo sticks using TCCD chips, A couple of years ago I got 2x512 Buffalo sticks that used BH5 chips, which at the time were considered strictly for high-end sticks, yet they were reasonably priced and ran very well. What confuses me though is my understanding that 1Gb modules could not use TCCD chips due to TCCD chips only being offered in 512Mb modules.

Hoot

I attempted to find the stick in question when I first saw your post, but was unable. Do you have a link to the product that you are referencing?

Look at the picture of the module closely. Each IC has a small half-circle cutout on the left and right hand side of the chip, it is bordered in white so it is easy to see. That is trademark Micron packaging, as recognizable as Winbond's dimples. Please see the pics of the Micron ICs (second set of pics) per this attached link, then go back and look at the pic of the Buffalo stick and you will notice the cut-out that I mentioned above.

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~yok/TENJIKAN-DDR.htm

My first impression is that Newegg's description is incorrect. I am going to check Buffalo's site as well for more info.

Last edited:
Googled and found a set on sale at eBay. Says TCCD, but shows same picture of the Micron chip as newegg.

I would be interesting to find a gig of TCCD, especially for under $100.

Another reason to be doubting...everyone goes to TCC5 because TCCD is either unavailable or too expensive and Buffalo is selling it so cheaply?

buffalo do make TCCD.. could be something older.. they make them about a couple of months back.. don't know whether they still have them or not

ur 1 gig of TCCD = 2 x 512mb yea.. cause 2 x 1GB isn't possible :| lol

babyelf said:
buffalo do make TCCD.. could be something older.. they make them about a couple of months back.. don't know whether they still have them or not

ur 1 gig of TCCD = 2 x 512mb yea.. cause 2 x 1GB isn't possible :| lol

I was not aware of Buffalo Tech ever making a TCCD based module.

Would you by any chance have a link to a Buffalo Tech product description, a forum post from someone that bought and tested it, or a formal product review so that I could read up on it?

The linked product is a single 1GB stick, claiming to use the TCCD chipset. Priced at just under $100 for the gig. The pictured ram appears to be using Micron ICs.

the density of the chips make it physically impossible to be TCCD.. i'm thinking micron.. but if it's micron it should be older stuffs.. cause micron stopped producing the chips they used for ballistix.. (or it could be other micron chips i am not aware of)

AG at dfi street tested buffalo TCCD or something.. i will get u a link.. need to search for it

here you go
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136565&postcount=375

another
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136982&postcount=419

there's a rep from buffalo on DFI street as well if u need info.. i can't remember his nick

Thanks for the link...I will have to go read the entire thread to find the source of those modules.

Memoryman (Bruce) at PCPerspective is a Buffalo Tech rep and I've PM'ed him on this question. Would this be the same guy at DFI-S?

The XS listing of TCCD ram does not list Buffalo as a source of TCCD. I find it interesting that there are no reviews or anything else, given the hype that surfaced around TCCD.

My curiosity has been raised so I will have to follow this to the end now.

I have from the very beginning found it unlikely that the 1GB sticks referenced in this thread are in fact TCCD. Not saying it isn't so, just unlikely.

Reefa_Madness said:
Thanks for the link...I will have to go read the entire thread to find the source of those modules.

Memoryman (Bruce) at PCPerspective is a Buffalo Tech rep and I've PM'ed him on this question. Would this be the same guy at DFI-S?

The XS listing of TCCD ram does not list Buffalo as a source of TCCD. I find it interesting that there are no reviews or anything else, given the hype that surfaced around TCCD.

My curiosity has been raised so I will have to follow this to the end now.

I have from the very beginning found it unlikely that the 1GB sticks referenced in this thread are in fact TCCD. Not saying it isn't so, just unlikely.

I think it is...I found his email on the dfi forum. His screen name is memoryman on that forum.

Tom

disk11,

I believe that you've misread what was posted. No one ever said that AG was memoryman. Babyelf referred to a Buffalo Tech rep that posts over at DFI-S at the bottom of post #10. I responded in the next post that there was one (a Buffalo Tech rep) at PCPer that went by memoryman and wondered out loud if it was the same rep.

Angry Games's name comes into the discussion because he has posted that he has Buffalo Tech ram with TCCD chips. The rep comes into the discussion because I have sent him a PM inquiring as to whether or not Buffalo Tech used TCCD in a 1 gig stick, as per the newegg product description.

At no point does anyone state that AG and memoryman are one and the same.

yea.. AG and the rep is a totally different person..

@ reefa.. apparently they started making them just about the post was made.. i think they came in late with TCCD.. but will be interesting to see how they do.. cause AFAIK buffalo don't have heatspreaders too yea?

I sent a PM last night from over at PCPer and have not received a reply (we need to remember that this is a holiday weekend in the States) and another one from DFI-S about 30 minutes ago.

gigabit said:

That, my friend, is what I believe will turn out to be the right answer. Good find.

Either Micron D, which is what all of the 1GB Micron sticks are using, and the Samsung TCCC, which was just described incorrectly by newegg.

Now it brings us back to a gig of Micron D based ram for under $100...compares very well with the alternatives, doesn't it? Or does it? Is Crucial getting the best and the rest going elsewhere...who is willing to find out? Even if it only runs default, it still appears to be a very well priced alternative.

Back