• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick n00b question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g30hd3

Hey guys. I'm planning on building a new overclocking system from scratch around the DFI Lanparty UT 250GB motherboard. I'm thinking about keeping my 512MB (2*256) Corsairs XMS3200 memory sticks cuz it's a waste selling it on eBay. In addition, I'm planning on getting an extra GB of ram somewhere.

Now here's my question: Would my overclocking ability be held down cuz I'm not using 2*512MB's or would it be the same with a 1GB stick and 2*256's?

I've overclocked a long time ago but only had 2 sticks of memory.. I have no idea how it'd work with 3.. :bang head

socket 754 might have some problem running all dimms populated.. and what 1GB stick are u planning to run it with?

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on getting some cheap value rams.. anything around $100 or so.

i think u'll be better off just using one of the 1GB stick..

not good mixing rams

Especially on a memory-controller crippled platform. If it is at all possible I would suggest buying a single 1GB stick of high peformance RAM from your vender of choice. :)

We have several high peformance options that you might want to take a look at :)

g30hd3 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on getting some cheap value rams.. anything around $100 or so.
If you end up using your 2x256 w/ 1gig, be sure to populate the slot closer to your cpu w/ 1gig stick. this will give you better interlace thus better performance.

Back