• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix vs. Ballastic Tracer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FM53

Registered
Ballistix vs. Ballastix Tracer?

What's the difference between the 2 and if there is a preference, which one would it be?

Which 2X512 is better suited for a X2 on eVGA133-K8-NF41 mobo and an eVGA 7800 GT :

Ballistix PC4000
Patriot XBLK 3200 or 4800
OCZ 3200 Platinum rev 2

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the tracer is just a cool LED light strip that shows how much of your ram is being used on the stick itself.

Meathead said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the tracer is just a cool LED light strip that shows how much of your ram is being used on the stick itself.
Yep. Tracer=LED's, and if you apply vdimm they get really really bright :).

I have seen in the forums that the 1GB sticks are different chips than the 512MB, but it's hard to tell between the two flavors of 512's. The spreaders are very hard to remove due to the bonder they use.(It also voids your warrenty).
There is someone here who is very knowedgable about Ballistix, and maybe he will chime in when he sees this post.
My 512's are B5 G.

Bhugarov said:
I have seen in the forums that the 1GB sticks are different chips than the 512MB, but it's hard to tell between the two flavors of 512's. The spreaders are very hard to remove due to the bonder they use.(It also voids your warrenty).
There is someone here who is very knowedgable about Ballistix, and maybe he will chime in when he sees this post.
My 512's are B5 G.

I thought the pc4000's where B5 G's and the pc3200 was B5 C's, I am not for shure because I have never removed the heat spreader to see what IC's are in my specific pc4000.

FM53 said:
What's the difference between the 2 and if there is a preference, which one would it be?

Which 2X512 is better suited for a X2 on eVGA133-K8-NF41 mobo and an eVGA 7800 GT :

Ballistix PC4000
Patriot XBLK 3200 or 4800
OCZ 3200 Platinum rev 2

Hey, I came cross this thread @ XS regarding good set of Rams. I encourage you reading all posts, Will help you w/ a lot of info to know picking your mem.

Back