• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Premium Vcore dropping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CODKill

I've looked through many other forums, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer to my problem through those. On my P5WD2 Premium, I have my P4 3.73EE @ 4.2. The Vcore set at 1.4875 in the bios, but with asus probe, it reads 1.50 idle and then drops to 1.43 at load. So when I benchmark the CPU, I get tons of mathematical division errors because of the lack of voltage, but then I don't want to compensate for the drop of voltage and leave my CPU at 1.5+ idle. Also, I raised the voltage in the northbridge because my ram and video card are overclocked too. What should I do? I read about some droop mods, but have never seen one or done one. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I get the same droop as well (1.46 in windows dropes to 1.39 at full load) but that never made my CPu uninstable. I guess no matter what board you use, you will always get some amount of droop. but trust me. the droop with these boards is not so bad at all.

1.46v at idle is alot of heat. And when you adjust vcore manually TM1 and TM2 don't work so the only fix I can see working is a droop mod.

im getting the same divider issues and i dont know whats wrong. i have it at 1.55 vcore and im trying to boot at 330 fsb 1:1 with the 14x multi. It will boot into the bios and report the speed fine, and i can go higher and get the same bios readings, but windows wont boot past 325 fsb 1:1... it makes me believe there is some sort of barier in the operating system not letting me boot, or i just have some settings wrong. If someone could give me the settings i need to lock down and the vcore / memory voltage i should be using that would be a big help

Look at my sig for the parts i have. And, im using the 0512 bios.

- try to lower your ram speed or raise Vdimm
- if not try to raise your chipset voltage to maybe 1.55 or 1.6
- 1.55 vcore seems pretty high to me, try to lower that to 1.50 and see if that lets you boot up.
- if nothing helps, then it might be your CPU not wanting to go any higher (330 is already a lot to ask for)

what kindda temps are you getting with your CPU on water?

my ram can handle it, i can get my ram to boot at 375 mhz with loser timings. im wondering if it is the chipset voltage, ill try that.

Temp wise im idling at about 34 during the day and like 32 c at night. Load never goes over 41 c

I'm noticing the same thing but haven't had any stability issues. ANY issues (aside from an occassional issue while rebooting/powering on). The board is rock solid with regards to overclocking ability IMO.

Yeah, There seems to be a lot of voltage droop problems with the 945/955 boards from asus, People including myself are reporting a .1v drop with an above normal vcore. Doesn't seem to affect stability, but I bet I could lower my vcore a lot if this vcore issue didn't exsist.

It seems I'm slightly overvolted according to asus probe. In the bios I'm set to 1.4v but it shows 1.43v at idle in windows. Under full load it's somewhere around 1.39/1.40v in windows. These aren't that far off from the desired and I'm sure it's within industry standard acceptable tolerance.

HempHog said:
Yeah, There seems to be a lot of voltage droop problems with the 945/955 boards from asus, People including myself are reporting a .1v drop with an above normal vcore. Doesn't seem to affect stability, but I bet I could lower my vcore a lot if this vcore issue didn't exsist.

Yep this is it, does not affect stability but it does generate a BUNCH of unneeded heat.

Searching around for a droop mod for the board and dug up this thread.... doesn't seem to have ever answered the question at hand though, what is the vcore droop mod for this mobo?

for me, 1.500 set in bios reads 1.550 idle, and 1.460 load...... would a droop mod really stabilize it though? especially since it overvolts at idle?

http://www.akiba-pc.com/P5WD2_MOD/
P5WD2_Vcore_Droop.jpg

it also has the side effect of raising vcore approx .07v

Raise Vc by default = yeah it does! The lack of droop is also going to drive temps even higher during loads, so your "good" cooling had better be in place first. The mod will help with stability under benches at really high clocks IF your cooling can handle the extra temp it will generate at idle and especially on load.

@ sicloan, what I could boot at via BIOS seemed mostly dependent on the BIOS version more than anything else. Same settings and whatnot, one BIOS would only go up to say 328FSB while another would boot at 340. With a modded board, and 0512 and 0519 BIOS, I can boot up at 370FSB through BIOS.

Also note that relying on the SpeedStep (EIST) to get 14x does NOT seem to work as well as the LockFree that is available on 04B perf spec procs (115W Pressie versions = some 550s like mine ;), 560, 570, 660 and 670). Using EIST to achieve 14x doesn't seem to offer the same ease of booting at high FSB that LockFree does and I think that's why a lot of 630-650 owners get stuck around 270-280FSB on them as far as booting.

Ross said:
Also note that relying on the SpeedStep (EIST) to get 14x does NOT seem to work as well as the LockFree that is available on 04B perf spec procs (115W Pressie versions = some 550s like mine ;), 560, 570, 660 and 670). Using EIST to achieve 14x doesn't seem to offer the same ease of booting at high FSB that LockFree does and I think that's why a lot of 630-650 owners get stuck around 270-280FSB on them as far as booting.

Yup.... and it sucks.......

LOL. That 630 I had for about a week drove me nuts. It booted higher FSB (and higher clock) @ 15x then it did at 14x using EIST...go figure. 325FSB was pretty much the limit @ 15x and a lower than that at 14x (on phase). The 670 with the LockFree = 370FSB booting from BIOS, 395FSB max so far...but I think I need some better NB cooling to hit the magic 400FSB+ mark :D

Back