• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TCCD tango

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

ive got 2 different match pair both using TCCD chips but the corsair has slower timings. both will do 250fsb prime stable no problem but when i run them all together it errors under a few minutes. whats weird is that i didn't get in errors in memtest when i ran them all together. anway, using a 14x multi i tested each pair alone at 500mhz without issue. maybe i should just sell one pair off so i can get them all to match? should i just sell them all and get 2x1gb sticks so i can renable PAT. will a 2gb pair get a more stable oc? if so what is the best 2x1gb TCCD pair that's out right now.

thanks,
agentbad

2x512 corsair xms v4.1 tccd
2x512 ocz el pl tccd
x800pro non-vivo
ic7-g max2
thermaltake 480w silentpower
p4 3.2e
audigy 2 zs

Last edited:
TCCD in 1GB sticks is not an option, as far as I know. The chip is not manufactured in the density required for 1GB sticks.

The link below is to a thread that is discussing some 1GB Buffalo Tech ram described by newegg as using TCCD. It appears that the description is incorrect. In any event, the subject of TCCD not available on 1GB sticks is discussed here. One of the linked threads in that post below is to a 1GB stick "database" over at XS which might provide you with useful information if you decide to go that route.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3951652&postcount=47

Your Corsair and OCZ sticks are probably using different PCB and if the OCZ is newer (v1.1), then it will be using TCC5 chips, not TCCD. Both of these differences could be impacting your overclocking attempts.

hmmmm.....well what kind of performance hit will get from having PAT disabled?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly when the 865/875 chipsets first came out in the second quarter of 2003 most of the comparisons done around that time yielded somewhere around a 3%-5% difference (maybe a little more in some apps) between the two chipsets. This was before the manufacturers figured out how to implement PAT-like performance with the 865PE chiset, therefore, it should be indicative of the difference in running with and without PAT enabled.

How do you know the OCZ EL Platinums are TCCD? If it was because some databse assurred you they were, that may not be correct. I bought some back in May when many people were reporting getting TCCDs, only to have trouble with them getting along with my Mushkins, there were indeed TCCD. Finally, I peeked under a spreader and lo-and-behold, they were TCC5. Somewhere along the way, OCZ changed chips. Just some food for thought. If you eventually decide to sell all your 512's like I did and get 1Gb sticks, my advice is to get the Crucial Ballistics. They're not cheap, running about 155-159 per gig, but boy do they deliver the goods. See my sig. Good Luck whatever you wind up pursuing.

Hoot

ive heard of the new ocz el pl rev2 using TCC5 but i thought that was a pretty recent change. the guy i got them off of (rage3d forum mod) actually said he got them right before they turned to TCC5 and i believe him mainly because how much ive been able to OC them without a voltage increase. what i think now is the corsair set i have isn't TCCD but either TCC5 or TCCx. i just hope i don't run into the same problem again when i get my new set. what's the safest way to peak under the heatspreader on either corsair or ocz without hurting anything?

thanks,
agentbad

agentbad said:
ive heard of the new ocz el pl rev2 using TCC5 but i thought that was a pretty recent change. the guy i got them off of (rage3d forum mod) actually said he got them right before they turned to TCC5 and i believe him mainly because how much ive been able to OC them without a voltage increase. what i think now is the corsair set i have isn't TCCD but either TCC5 or TCCx. i just hope i don't run into the same problem again when i get my new set. what's the safest way to peak under the heatspreader on either corsair or ocz without hurting anything?

thanks,
agentbad

The way I did it was to remove the clip that doesn't have the warranty sticker on it. Then gently pry up that end of the spreader just enough to peek at the end chip. It may resist a little depending upon the adhesive nature of the TIM pad. You don't need to lift the spreader too far in order to see the surface of the end chip.

Hoot

Back