• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmick

Registered
I have been reading everything possible about BH-5 ram and TCCD ram. They both seem very impressive, and I am looking to upgrade my Mushkin value ram, which, I know isn't very impressive, but was able to get running at 225mhz stable. I tried for 230mhz, and I got a blue screen after running Evercrack2 for about a half an hour. I haven't tried memtest because I am scared of the outcome. Also, it is cas3, and it auto-detected 2.5, which got me changing some of the other timings, although I don't know what any of them mean. Currently I have it set up 2.5-4-3-8T. I think that sounds right. It is something close to that anyway. I think there may be another number in there. Anyway, I really like how much everyone supports BH-5 ram, but it appears to require a lot of voltage to get it My motherboard doesn't support that kind of voltage, which makes me want to get some TCCD ram. TCCD seems to run efficient at lower voltages, or at least that is what I have comprehended from reading peoples postings. For my current specs, which are located in my signature, what do you recommend for memory. GeIL makes some cas1.5, although on auto-notify through newegg.com, in both BH-5 and TCCD. What do you guys think of this ram, and what do you guys recommend for my system. I plan on getting 4 sticks if that helps in anyway. Thanks for help in advance.

First of all if you want to go 2GB then stay away from using 4x512MB cause it will decrease your bandwith since you will be forced to run under 2T command rate.

2GB 2x1GB would be much better cause you will be able to attain 1T and it would leave your options opened for the future upgrade if you decide to add more. The best 1GB stick that you can get as of now are the Balistix with -5B D chips wihch have been seen to hit 300MHz, but they do cost $$$.

If you decide to do 1GB 2x512MB then there is nothing wrong with going with TCC5's but they however require slightly more Vdimm then your standard TCCD would take. The best TCC5 that you can get are the OCZ Platn Rev2 which as I seen easily hit 300MHz, then there are Corsairs XL's and Pros which are not as good since they don't run on Brainpower PCB's and I think that Patriot XBLK's are still using TCCD's on their sticks. If you have money to spend then G-Skill is the best that you can get. I think that Egg still have some LE's left over which are by far the best TCCD's ever made in my opinion.

I agree with RedDragonXXX..... 4x512 is a real pain in the neck to get working...... I will disagree though that if you can get it working the loss of using 2T isn't that significant. In real world applications you'd hardly notice the difference. I'd go with whatever fits in your budget. Since you're limited by the mb you own go with TCC5 ram or get some Crucial Ballistix. Two sticks of 1Gig Ballistix will cost you about as much as 4 sticks of OCZ Platinum Rev2. GL

HousERaT said:
I agree with RedDragonXXX..... 4x512 is a real pain in the neck to get working...... I will disagree though that if you can get it working the loss of using 2T isn't that significant. In real world applications you'd hardly notice the difference.

True but if you are a bench junkie like yours truly :p then you will, cause that extra bandwith comes in handy.

I have OCZ 3200 Plat.rev.2 (tcc5) my bud has OCZ 2300 plat. Original tccd, They both run the same, and my tcc5 I ran on 2.8v. OCZ made some great ram with this tcc5, You could run low htt with tight timing or high htt with looser timings,What I'm trying to say is they will do what ever you want. I just bought some 1g(2x512) Corsair 3500 (old BH-5) Because I just got a FX-55 And don't need that high of htt to reach my mghz goal,I bought the BH-5 so I could run tighter timing at a little higher htt then my tcc5, And the voltage on my BH-5 say 3.2 will get me to about 243@ 2,2,2, timings, But if you want 2g of ram don't use 4 x 512 sticks,your defeating the purpose like the guy said in a earlier post get the 2g (2x 1g) kit so you could stay at 1t and not loose the bandwidth. Hope some of this helps you !

Thanks guys. I only play Everquest 2, which does require a lot of memory, which is the reason I want to get 2gb of ram. I guess 2 sticks is the way to go. I am going to order some OCZ 2 x 1gb sticks 2-3-2-5 timings, labor day special at newegg.com. That should do the trick.

Last edited:
Back