• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 2gb (2x1gb Sticks) of DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

My questions is it better to go with a lower speed and 2gb (PC2-3200) or should I go with PC2-4200 2GB? Its being used for folding, so would either give me a better performance boost? Or should I stay with the 1GB PC2-4300 I have (512MBx2) and add another 1GB stick? Would that hinder performance at all?

Want to keep this cheap as possible. Don't need really fast ram.

dicecca112 said:
My questions is it better to go with a lower speed and 2gb (PC2-3200) or should I go with PC2-4200 2GB? Its being used for folding, so would either give me a better performance boost? Or should I stay with the 1GB PC2-4300 I have (512MBx2) and add another 1GB stick? Would that hinder performance at all?

Want to keep this cheap as possible. Don't need really fast ram.

This is an Intel system, right? Adding a third single 1 gig stick would drop you down from dual channel to single channel. Yes, that would be a performance hit. If this is a backup rig mainly used for folding, just leave the 2X512 PC2-4300 RAM in there. That's perfectly fine. If you "have" to add RAM, you should use 2 more sticks of what you already have in order to match. This will retain dual channel.

This is an Intel system, right? Adding a third single 1 gig stick would drop you down from dual channel to single channel. Yes, that would be a performance hit. If this is a backup rig mainly used for folding, just leave the 2X512 PC2-4300 RAM in there. That's perfectly fine. If you "have" to add RAM, you should use 2 more sticks of what you already have in order to match. This will retain dual channel.

Intel yup its the one in my sig. Not a backup its the main, tends to lag a bit sometimes with QMDs, taking up most of my ram (see pic below)

untitled.jpg

idle with two instances of QMDs I can only get 23min/frame. At the minimum I would like to be rid of the lag, and to maybe shave some seconds off. Ocing is out of the question right now seeing the dorm is too hot, temps hit 50C idle, because its almost 95F in the room currently. Come fall and winter that is a possibility.

I'm under the impression that more bandwidth is better for QMDs is that current?

Use CPU-Z and see what RAM ratio you are using. If it's 1:1, then you can get more memory bandwidth out of it by using the 3:4 ratio. Maybe raise RAM voltage to 1.9v and try tweaking timings. You have been overclocking a while here on the forum, so maybe you've already tried these things that I'm suggesting.

Back