• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't get my BH-5s over 220 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyld

Registered
im currently running 240 fsb with a divider on the memory. i can't get my memory up to 1:1 -- i keep getting errors in memtest around 220.

i have 2 80mm fans blowing on them now and have used the DFI timings guide to losen all my timings. i've tried all voltages from 2.6-3.3 and can't get anything stable to do 240. any suggestions?

3800 x2 (ThermalRight SLK-978 + Panaflo 90mm + AS3)
2 x 512 KHX 3500 BH-5
DFI NF4 LanParty SLI-DR

if they give no errors within their specified settings, does that still constitute a bad stick?

wyld said:
if they give no errors within their specified settings, does that still constitute a bad stick?

If there is no errors that means the memory is working like it should. Did you run Memtest86 at the OC frequency that causes the problem? When you run the test you should loop test 5 & 8 at least 10 times each.

Not to knock you, but are you super positive that those sticks are BH5? There was very little KHX3500 made with BH5 chips. Most of it was made with CH5.

Also, are you trying to get it up to 240 1:1? If that is the case, you will more than likely need more than 3.3v running through it. You have some pretty good cooling on it, so why not throw 3.5V - 3.6V at it and see what you can get.

Can your processor handle that FSB? Try lowering the multi. And then run memtest. If you don't get any errors after a few hours, then your ram is fine at whatever frequency you're using it at.

Calsonic:

My CH-5 can hit 245FSB with 3.2v... 2.5-3-3-5 (bad timings, i know)... I think his BH-5 could hit the same easily.

Solid: I figured that he was going for 2-2-2-5 timings and this might be the source of his problems in the off-chance that they aren't in fact BH5.

CalsonicGTR said:
Solid: I figured that he was going for 2-2-2-5 timings and this might be the source of his problems in the off-chance that they aren't in fact BH5.

Touch��é :D

Quest For Speed said:
Did you run Memtest86 at the OC frequency that causes the problem? When you run the test you should loop test 5 & 8 at least 10 times each.

Within the SPD specs there are no memory errors. At the OC frequency of 240 even at very lose timings (2-3-3-8) i get lots of errors. at 3.0V i get a few errors but the amount of errors increase as i increase the voltage to 3.3V.

CalsonicGTR said:
Not to knock you, but are you super positive that those sticks are BH5?
i thought they were. here's a pic of the label:
ram_khx.jpg

i'll try blastin it with 3.5V and see what happens. is two 80mm fans posistioned about an inch above them adequate cooling? what's a better cooling method short of going liquid?

Last edited:
That is more than adequate for cooling.

The labels on those sticks dont really tell us anything. Download CPU-Z, open the program, goto the SPD tab, and see what the numbers say. If it says 2-2-2-6, then it is BH5. If it says 2-3-2-6, then it is CH5.

wyld said:
it says 2-3-3-8 @ 200, 2.5-4-4-9 @ 217

I'd say if it says 2-3-3-8@200 then you're doing well to get 210-215 running 2-2-2-5 or 2-2-2-6. Since the warranty sticker is not over the retainer clips, pull 'em off and look under the spreader to see what chips you have. A few years ago, I bought some Buffalo PC3500 sticks that ran 2-2-2-6 up to about 215 Mhz at 2.60V. They didn't have spreaders and the chips were Samsung BH5s. No additional Vdimm would get them to run faster, but at the time, my Vdimm was limited a maximum of 2.85. Even with active cooling, be careful running that Vdimm up too high. That is, if you don't want to buy more memory. There's no shame running 210-215 Mhz with tight timings. I had some OCZs that would run either 210 2-2-2-5 or 250 3-3-3-8 and the difference in performance was only observable running synthetic benchmarks. Certinly not in real-life use.

Hoot

well i figured out my problem. i took Hoot's advice and popped off the heat spreaders. beneath the first stick i found this:
bh5.jpg

definately bh-5. awesome.

so then i turned my suspicious little eyes to the second stick and found this:
ch5.jpg

noooooooo!

two off the shelf sticks bought from best buy 2 years ago. from the serial numbers it seems like the bh-5 stick was made just 2 weeks before the ch-5 stick. so i put just the bh-5 back in and im rocking solid 250HTT @ 2-2-2-5 with 3.3V. no errors in memtest. gonna let prime run overnight.

but WHAT DO I DO NOW??? i can't go back to 512MB memory! i really was hoping to upgrade to 2GB somehow!

stable all night long. moved to some real world testing by firing up half life 2 and then World of Warcraft. it is NOT worth sacrificing 512MB of RAM to get the memory to run 1:1 at 2-2-2-5. the IF lag was horrible.

so i ordered 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix. That outta solve my problem :)

Back