• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5P800 = POS? First no XP, Now Unstable... POS detected Off the port bow sir!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oRIDDLERo

OK, first off i know i am not the only one who has had this problem B/C a Google search came up with this thread where someone had the IDENTICAL problem elsewhere:

Sys= P4 530J, 2x corsair ddr400c2, 80gb diamondmax10 PATA, Enermax 430w 20pin PSU.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1234160#post1234160

Quick run down: Install of XP failed, at same point over and over (during device detection), Systems passes Memtest86 loops no problem...

1.5 hours later Eventually got XP installed after manually entering FSB, MEM speed / timings, and disabling various advanced CPU features i have never seen before (I have yet to figure out which of the above allowed me to get past the point it where it kept freezing) after OS install Systems reboots with any kind of significant CPU load. (20 secs into single p95, or 20 secs into Super pi 32m)

Either:

A. This board is a total POS (I tend to agree with this one)
B. The bored does not like my PATA Hard drive (the other guy said xp installed fine on a SATA drive)
C. My 20 pin connecter PSU (even though it is a very nice 430w enermax) does not agree with the 24pin socket when under load

My options are:

1. Get a 24pin PSU and pray
2. Get a 24pin adapter and pray
3. RMA this junk and get the Abit

What BIOS version do you have. I set up this board for a buddy and I had a hell of a time with it till I flashed the newest BIOS to it. The older BIOS had a problem with IDE detection. I think if you update the BIOS youll get better results. After the BIOS flash here the board has been notihng but stable since.

Z

Well the problem is solved... I posted most of my experiences on another forum (because i found someone there that had the exact same problem) ...no it was not the bios, that is the first thing i tried. Thanks anyways though. I have decided to post my post from that forum here in case anyone ever gets themselves in this jam and dos not want to waste a full day figuring it out!

++++Fisrt Post++++

I have the exact same problem!!!

***Question for guy above*** Were u using a 20pin power supply or a 24pin?

Except it is a different CPU!

Intel 530J 3Ghz 800mhz 1Mb l2
Same MB

Tryed:

Slipsteam sp2 xpro
Xp Pro Sp1
Memtest86 passes No Problem
Freezes at exact same point in XP pro install...
Updated to latest bios

*** could this be? Since we both have the exact same problem at the same point in the install i really doubt this is a hardware failure of some sort.

Any more info on this? Im an Abit fan (building this system for a relitive) This problem sucks bigtime... Ill never use Asus again!

++++ second Post++++

***UPDATE***

I was ready to give up when I decided I would try to tweak so of the silly ASUS settings in the bios… I disabled most of the funky advanced settings, manually entered 200 as the fsb for the CPU, and manually entered the mem speed and timings (should not matter B/C memtest86 had no problems at the other setting… but I was grabbing for anything). Behold it completed the XP install! So everything is well now right? …Not

After thinking my troubles were over I proceeded to install all the updates and apps my uncles family would need (approx 2.5 hours). Now that everything was installed I decided I would do a little stress testing just to be sure she was stable. Fired up Prime 95… System rebooted in 10 seconds… Hmm I thought.. maybe Prime does not like this system / config (again, this MB makes me think like a noob just to try to get it working) so then I try SuperPi to 32m digits loop, Again 10 seconds then reboot! ARrrrg!

What kind of manufacturer could let a board like this loose on the market?!? I should have went with my gut feeling when I was reading the features and saw things like “Proactive Ai” and al the other lame “overclocking for noobs” features… Nevre again asus! Abit pwns you and always will. Tomorrow i will waste 1 or 2 more hours trying to figure this out.. then it get sent back and replaced with abit as this seems to be the only cure for this p0s.

My ABIT Rig: (Umm ok, i guess i cant post links???)

++++Last Post++++

**Problem Solved**

So ends the saga

I joined this forum just for this post so I might get in touch with some one who had my exact same problem… Seems none cares. Ill just post the solution here so people who have the same problem can fix it without wasting 12 hours like I did … other that that this forum is rather lame and I wont be back.

Problem: System freezes at set point in XP pro install.

Answer: Motherboard seems buggy in windows when utilizing the second channel in dual DDR mode with out the additional 4 pins of the 24 pin atx power connector. The extra 4 pins on the 24 pin standard are supposed to be for PCI express so I did not think they were necessary on this AGP based motherboard… I thought wrong, it cause all kinds of weirdness.

How I figured it out: Even after I was able to get the operating system installed (by disabling many advanced CPU features, and manually setting the FSB, mem speed, and timings). The system was not 100% stable. You could run low cpu intensive applications / install and run all the lame programs you wanted, but when It came to full load ( Dual prime95 SuperPi 32m loop etc…) the system would almost immediately freeze. When I physically removed the second ram module to force the system into single chan mode system was full load stable. Installed a 20 to 24 pin ATX adapter and system became rock solid even in dual chan mode. (this might even allow you to get though that XP install bug)

Hope this helps someone!

Btw, it is recommended that you use a 400w power supply or better with the adapter

That is an interesting solution and Im glad you posted it. I do not however think that was the only issue. I used a 20 pin supply on the system I built and other than a BIOS issue the board was perfectly stable.

Z.

PS: If you were using a smaller than say 400watt supply I would be more apt to think the problem is or was a weak supply.

My .02

Back