• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D 830 & P5WD2 Question Please Answer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirBA

If you answer that'd be great
ok i bought this mainboard p5wd2 like a month ago from newegg with all these components and built a system! (check out from my sig)

My Questions;

0. Using the 0512 bios

1. Since 830's stock heatsink fan suck big time, what should I buy to get it run at your speed (4200mhz) ?
(please give me specific web sites and products)

2. my one and only ide hard drive(not sata) is connected to one of the red connector and works fine, but when i connect the dvdrw to the blue connector it doesn't work in the windows xp, please note that the dvdrw drive works in the post (meaning it can boot any bootable cd, i even installed the windows xp while it was connected to the blue port) but for some reason it doesn't read any cds dvds in windows.
so you think something is wrong with the connector or what
(i tried 4 different drives alll the same thing, drives doesn't work in windows environemt, but work in the post, what do you make of that?)

can something wrong with the controller it doesn't make sense coz why is it work in the post then, i installed the XP!

(don't tell me the install chipset drivers i have them latest installed intel-inf-7.2.1.1006)

3. how do i install the linux? (all linux versions cant see my hard drive) what to do any ideas?

4. that installing a third party driver while installing a OS, is annoying why why why is that?

1, To get to an OC of 4.2 you are going to need a good water cooling rig. You are not going to get there on air. Check into the WC forum. Lot's of good help there.

2. Your CD problems on the blue connector are prolly cable related. I saw another thread a while back and the guy was having pbs until he swapped out the cables. It requires an 80 not 40 cable. And I'm thinking that is the one labeled for a CD. Also, I think I read that it does not like the CS jumper on the CDROM. You have to change the jumper from CS to Master or Slave depending on which connector on the cable you are using.

3. Linux can't see the HD because it needs the ITE Controller driver just like Win needs the ITE controller driver. I'd bet if you got ASUS tech support on the phone they would direct you to a site that has that driver.

4. I donno. That's just the way it is. Some controllers need drivers and the ITE controller is one of them.

Yeah, damm good watercooling to hit 4.2. I can go higher then 275FSB on my 820 but temps are getting way to hot, I'll wait till winter hits and my ambient temps will be around 15 celsius (love the basement)

Back