• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how good is patriot extreme ddr2 4200? 3-2-2-4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EternalX

I am planning on getting a new 955 series motherboard and running a dual core pentium d. I saw this ram at Fry's electronics, and was wondering how well it would do or if anyone had previous exprerience with it? It is patriot extreme XBL pc4200 ddr2 ram. It says it will do 3-2-2-4 timings, which is extremely good. I know there is mushkin EB ram that will timings like that, im wondering if they use the same kind of chips? I also heard that HIGH performance ddr2 ram is going to dry up due to micron. Should i get this ram while it lasts??? I can get a 1GB stick for 99.99 on Outpost, or 129.90 in the store. Im thinking i should jump on it.

EternalX said:
I am planning on getting a new 955 series motherboard and running a dual core pentium d. I saw this ram at Fry's electronics, and was wondering how well it would do or if anyone had previous exprerience with it? It is patriot extreme XBL pc4200 ddr2 ram. It says it will do 3-2-2-4 timings, which is extremely good. I know there is mushkin EB ram that will timings like that, im wondering if they use the same kind of chips? I also heard that HIGH performance ddr2 ram is going to dry up due to micron. Should i get this ram while it lasts??? I can get a 1GB stick for 99.99 on Outpost, or 129.90 in the store. Im thinking i should jump on it.

Its TCCD best around and am shocked for the price. DDR400 2x512(for AMD) is around $160. are you sure it is XBL? if it is then you got a good deal.

I believe that patriot uses low level Micron 3.0ns which should clock reasonably well. For the money I'd say its a pretty good deal. Most DDR2 costs about $200 and atleast with this you are getting very nice DDR2

Last edited:
Patriot xblk in DDR1 are TCCD(link below), so why wont DDR2?
factual info to back your claim please.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820220056

Well I read his post and it says DDR2, maybe you should read his post a little clearer

Factually info huh, how about this http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4453756?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

or how about this the 955 chipset by Intel uses DDR2 only, the Pentium D can only use DDR2, so obviously its DDR2 and not DDR

What is the difference between DDR and DDR2?

Computer manufacturers began introducing DDR2-based systems in mid-2004. The evolutionary changes to DDR architecture enable DDR2 to achieve speeds beyond of DDR, delivering bandwidth of 5.3 GB per second and beyond! Because DDR2 is able to operate with faster bus speeds, your memory doesn't hold back the performance of your processor.

Like DDR modules, the numbers that come after the "PC2" refer to the total bandwidth of the module. For this type of memory, a higher number represents faster memory, or more bandwidth. DDR2 is sometimes referred to as "DDR2-400" or "DDR2-533," for example. When written this way, the numbers after "DDR2" refer to the data transfer rate of the components.

The Advantages of DDR2 Memory

* DDR2 is a new memory architecture that supports improvements in chipsets and other system components.

* DDR2 maximizes system performance and can operate at data rates of 667MHz and beyond.

* DDR2-based dual-channel systems process memory more efficiently and reduce system latency time.

* DDR2 better handles the memory-intensive applications used on today's faster, feature-packed systems.

* Lower power consumption improves server performance and prolongs notebook battery life.

* Lower operating voltage of 1.8 volts (compared to 2.5 volts for DDR and 3.3 volts for SDRAM).

* Lower operating temperatures help notebooks and servers with cooling and required airflow.

DDR2 is not backward-compatible, which means that if you are upgrading a system that does not have DDR2 technology, it will not accept a DDR2 upgrade.

dicecca112 said:
Well I read his post and it says DDR2, maybe you should read his post a little clearer

Factually info huh, how about this http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4453756?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

or how about this the 955 chipset by Intel uses DDR2 only, the Pentium D can only use DDR2, so obviously its DDR2 and not DDR

who said DDR1?
I read his post and I replied correctly. Maybe you should read my posts again.
again: i know he is looking for DDR2 and I know p4 (775 sockets) only uses DDR2. Hell I owned 520 2 months ago.
edit: should have said 240 pins only take DDR2, where as 775 915 chipset take DDR but 945 and 955 dont.

Last edited:
dicecca112 said:

Well i am glad you know as much as the introductory of DDR2. But for your info I have read tons of info on DDR2 and I dont like it.
It is not faster than DDR contrary to your DDR2 "101" states, and produces lower scores in all tests compared to DDR. Something for you to know.

dicecca112 said:
because TCCD is DDR only! Do a search it will prove this more times over
well, I know TCCD was around for DDR and lately Samsung has changed to TCC4,5, CCC etc and only few still manufac. TCCD. I read in patriot's website that their XBLK lines are both DDR and DDR2, so I figured since same designation(XBLK) then should both be TCCD. But I may be wrong. Best to contact patriot and clear this up.
according to link below Samsung makes bunch of DDR2 but different designations for their own brand name, so why not TCCx?.
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200Intel/memvendor.html#2

That XBL DDR2 RAM you are asking about uses Micron chips that are very similar to what's on my OCZ EB rev2 DDR2 RAM and with extra voltage I've hit DDR2-720 using 3-2-2-6 timings. Looks like a pretty good deal. If you are getting it for an Intel system, buy 2 matched sticks to make full use of dual channel.

Ochungry, you keep trying to compare apples to oranges. We are well aware of your dislike for DDR2 and you are free to have your own opinions on the subject, but your info is not entirely correct. Now be a good boy and stay on topic. Please don't argue.

batboy said:
That XBL DDR2 RAM you are asking about uses Micron chips that are very similar to what's on my OCZ EB rev2 DDR2 RAM and with extra voltage I've hit DDR2-720 using 3-2-2-6 timings. Looks like a pretty good deal. If you are getting it for an Intel system, buy 2 matched sticks to make full use of dual channel.

Ochungry, you keep trying to compare apples to oranges. We are well aware of your dislike for DDR2 and you are free to have your own opinions on the subject, but your info is not entirely correct. Now be a good boy and stay on topic. Please don't argue.
Yes gand pa.

ochungry you need to understand that high peformance parts are coming from Samsung, just not now. I belive in the first part of 06 they will release a DDR2 900 part (not sure about that). As of right now they are only making cheap stuff since the demand for it is very low.

Sentential said:
ochungry you need to understand that high peformance parts are coming from Samsung, just not now. I belive in the first part of 06 they will release a DDR2 900 part (not sure about that). As of right now they are only making cheap stuff since the demand for it is very low.

You know, I am f...ing tiered of all you Intel fanboys telling me "you need to understand" or "you are not entirely correct" where it is you who don’t understand. Most intel members here always react in the same manner to those who may know the dilemma Intel causing them. after spending 1k on the setup and DDR2 800/1000 late to find out money wasted and DDR2 1000 no improvement and some cases poorer results, then resort to insult.
That's ok I understand your pain.
Sentenial, since you are the representative of mushkin, can you prove that changing from DDR2 533 to DDR2 1000 is going to bring about significant improvement? or any at all?
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2412&p=8

tccd is on ddr2? ddr2 is awful? intel fanboys suck? all in a "is this a good ddr2" thread? get outta here.

for the price that sounds pretty good, maybe even better than my pqi (if it overclocks a lot)

Last edited:
ochungry said:
You know, I am f...ing tiered of all you Intel fanboys telling me "you need to understand" or "you are not entirely correct" where it is you who don’t understand. Most intel members here always react in the same manner to those who may know the dilemma Intel causing them. after spending 1k on the setup and DDR2 800/1000 late to find out money wasted and DDR2 1000 no improvement and some cases poorer results, then resort to insult.
That's ok I understand your pain.
Sentenial, since you are the representative of mushkin, can you prove that changing from DDR2 533 to DDR2 1000 is going to bring about significant improvement? or any at all?
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2412&p=8
lol.... excuse me? Ok, sure. Lets set the record straight on this :) This has absolutly nothing to do with me favoring Intel over AMD. This has everything to do with haveing a platform to help troubleshoot DDR2 for both Mushkin and Customers.

What you need to understand is that DDR2's advantage is its density, more so than its ability to reach higher speeds. Unlike many DDR1 including TCCD, it simply is too expensive to create the level of density that Infineon/Hynix's new 4GB sticks via 90nm can offer.

In addition as mentioned before, they can run considerably faster than DDR1 without having it cost as much. The other thing you need to understand is that Anandtech was doing the majority of their tests at a stock speed bus speed of 200mhz. This is especially worsened on a platform who's RAM must run asynch to reach its nominal

Surely you do not think that I or anyone would keep their FSB at stock speeds or even remotly close to 200?

The difference between S939's high peformance RAM and LGA775's is that S939's RAM is slow enough that most people are capable of running close to if not 1:1. With DDR2 this is simply not the case.

Once socket M2 arrives all of the rants against DDR2 ought to change as it should be able to run 1:1 on DDR2 much like the new .65nm cores from Intel should do as well.

So in summary, the reason why TCCD is pratically useless now, is that games like BF2 and others truly need 2GB to operate smoothly. This is something that neither UTT or TCCD will *ever* be capable of fully addressing.

I am not going to take up EternalX thread any more with this, you are welcome to join me on chat or continue this via PM :)

Last edited:
It would be nice if this discussion could proceed in a civil, polite and on-topic manner. This is not DDR vs DDR2. This is "is this good DDR2". OK?

Back