• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocz Pc-4200 Ddr2 Gold 3-3-3-8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HempHog

Just picked up this ram a few days ago (4x512, 2 matched pairs) and they seem okay so far.

At 266mhz it did 3-3-3-8 like it said it would at 1.8v

Right now I'm at 344mhz at 4-4-4-12 (I'm sure it can do better) at 2.2v (didn't try with lower volts) stable

Everest 2.20 results:

Memory Read: 6617
Memory Write: 2431
Latency: 85.6

All at 275 FSB

Anyone try these sticks out?

The OCZ seems to handle voltage pretty good. Will it do 1:1 at 275 FSB and 3-3-3-8 timings (maybe at 2.0v)? If so, do you mind running a benchmark (like PCmark2004) at those settings and compare it to your current 344 MHz using 4-4-4-12 (of course, leave all the non-RAM settings the same)?

Yeah, there cooled with a vantec tornado, I don't think these sticks are good at all, The best they'll do is 4-4-4-9 at 2.2v at 340mhz :( My corsair valueram did 4-4-4-12 at 333mhz :(.

Batboy: at 1:1 my score were lower, latency was just a tad higher. 3:4 seems to be better for me.

Another thing I noticed, the SPD data for 266mhz is 4-4-4-8 instead of 3-3-3-8, anyone know why?

Yeah, Get the corsair stuff, I think it's the 5400UL or something.

Last edited:
yeah, I never thought I would ever say that, but OCZ gold DDR2 suck big time (PC2-6400) in my case tho. this memory will run at its advertised speed/timing/voltage and that's it, hell, if even that, I mean the damn things will not run any faster (even with more voltage) and any slower (with tighter timing and more voltage or less) let's just say that I get errors at any other setting than 5-5-5-10 DDR2 770 with 1.95 volts (it should do DDr2 800 at 1.9 volts).

oh and in my case, RMAing the thing will cost me more than getting new ones (well maybe not but it would be around $230 for two-way shiping only) :(

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was going to get some of this ram on Thursday (FINALLY gonna order the last of my parts for my new rig), but I see you guys are having iffy luck with the RAM. I think I am just going to buy 2gb of the PQI PC2 5400 stuff.

Good idea, I wasted my money on this thinking that OCZ having some of the best DDR ram would have decent DDR2, guess not :bang head

Yeah it would seem that way. I kind of wanted 2gb of RAM any how. This just solidified my decision.

Interesting, the OCZ stuff Batboy and I have, atleast mine will do DDR2-667 w\ 3-2-2-8 @ 2.1v and it's rateed for 533mhz! I had it up to DDR2-800 with looser timings.

xtatdsm said:
yeah, I never thought I would ever say that, but OCZ gold DDR2 suck big time (PC2-6400) in my case tho. this memory will run at its advertised speed/timing/voltage and that's it, hell, if even that, I mean the damn things will not run any faster (even with more voltage) and any slower (with tighter timing and more voltage or less) let's just say that I get errors at any other setting than 5-5-5-10 DDR2 770 with 1.95 volts (it should do DDr2 800 at 1.9 volts).

oh and in my case, RMAing the thing will cost me more than getting new ones (well maybe not but it would be around $230 for two-way shiping only) :(

Were you using a divider? You sure the CPU isn't maxing out?

I did use deviders(1:1) to slow down the speed to run lower timing and that did not work, I then used higher devider to run the memory at its rated speed with the stock voltage (1.9) and that also did not work. so I upped the voltage to 2.0 volts and finally got it stable enough to run 12 hours of win memtest. so I tried to run DDr2 820 and the PC will not boot at any voltage running that speed. so I droped the speed and finally booted into window (DDR2 806) and even with 2.15 volts it would not be stable enough to run 3dmark01.

to sum things up.
- memory is only stable at its rated speed and timing with more than stock voltage (2.0)
- memory will not run at anything lower than its stock timing even at lower speed (running like 308 fsb 1:1)
- memory will not boot at anything more than DDR2 806
- memory will not run at any voltage more than 2.15.

and no my CPU is not maxing out since I can get it stable at 330x14 with no problems at all (running the memory at 1:1) and stock timing. but I run at 310x14 24/7 since I want to run lower vcore. so I have been trying to run the memory at 310 fsb 1:1 with lower timing that its rated timing and I just could not do it. so I am now stuck at DDR2 770 with stock timing.

While I've had great luck with my OCZ EB rev. 2 DDR2, I personally have not tried the OCZ gold series, but I've heard other people had good luck with it. It's always possible to get a poor performing stick I suppose. OCZ is really good about making the customer happy and has a good RMA policy. That said, the Mushkin Extreme Performace PC2 6400 is the hot ticket at the moment if you want high speed DDR2 with decent timings.

Back