• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good OCing Socket 478 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

I'm looking for a good socket 478 board for overclocking. i will be putting a fan modded CNPS7000-cu on it and a 1.7ghz p4 northwood. any recommendations?

-1cem4n

There is no such thing as a 1.7 Northwood. If it's 1.7, then it's a Willamette which came in both socket 423 and 478. Double check to make sure what you have. The Willamettes don't usually work in i865/i875 chipset mobos. If it's indeed a socket 478 Willamette, you might need to find an i845 chipset mobo.

i can probably get my mom to chip in seeing as how SHE will the one using it. i think my processor is a williamette but i'm not sure. I can't find an AI7 but I found an IS7 if that's what you're talking about. I will probably get the IS7 and overclock to 3.something.

-1cem4n

no, i was talking about ai7... is7 is pretty good too though. those asus boards i linked are ok as well. just make sure it's socket 478, not the previous one. also, i wouldn't expect 3.something out of it - that's a lot of overclock.

i will be using a ZALMAN CNPS7000-cu with it and i've gotten a 2.8 northwood to 3.8ghz so yeah. i already have an asus board so i want to try out a different manufacturer. another thing is that i can't find ANY ai7 anywhere. if you could give me a link that would be awesome.

-1cem4n

I answered your other thread, so I must be Nobody. For the people recommending the Abit AI7 or IS7, he has a Willamette and I'm pretty sure those Abit i865/i875 mobos don't support Willamettes. Ice, before you buy, go to the manufacturer's website and make sure the mobo you are looking at supports Willamette processors. They have 1.75v default vcore and a lot of mobos won't go that high. Like I said in the other thread, you might be stuck dropping down to the i845 chipset mobos.

that's too bad. 845 chipset would go to about 170-180 fsb... not much of an overclock.

I merged the two threads, so it may seem a bit jumbled, but jumbled is better than deleted. 1cem4n, double posting is not allowed and I would really appreciate it if you keep everything to one thread from now on and in the proper section. I know sometimes it takes a little longer to get an answer, but you will get one, the guys in here are experts and will come up with something for you. Thanks and good luck with your new board!
:)

Matt

okay thanks, it's just that i was getting next to no replies. i'm not too up to date on the older motherboards and i don't want to drop a bunch of money on another P4C800-E Deluxe(which is fantastic). My friend has a soytek which might be working or not and I will try it and maybe I will get it for around 5 bucks. If it doesn't, what should I get?

-1cem4n

For a willamette(and as far as I know, there was no 1.7A, only 1.6A and 1.8A), it's not too likely to be the motherboard limiting the overclock. Willamette means 100mhz FSB, so even if the motherboad will only go to 150fsb, that's still a 50% overclock, which seems pretty optimistic to me. Good luck getting to 3.0...

1cem4n said:
okay thanks, it's just that i was getting next to no replies. i'm not too up to date on the older motherboards and i don't want to drop a bunch of money on another P4C800-E Deluxe(which is fantastic). My friend has a soytek which might be working or not and I will try it and maybe I will get it for around 5 bucks. If it doesn't, what should I get?

-1cem4n

No problem. I understand your frustration.
:)

Soltek or Soyo? You sort of combined the two of them, hehe. I had a few soltek's, not bad at all. Not really brilliant overclocking boards, but they do just fine otherwise.

Matt

oh whoops. i think it is a soltek. i don't think it works though. any ideas on what to get?

-1cem4n

Unfortunately, it don't look like there is anything that will work in our classified ads here on the forum.

I went to eBay and clicked on computers and networking and then clicked on Motherboards for Desktop PC. Next, I typed "845" in the search thing. Looks like there are several obsolete MSI boards. Plus one micro Gigabyte mobo and an Epox mobo from Hong Kong (yikes). Most of this stuff listed is junk. The MSI 845 Pro4 and MSI Medion 3000 use the old PC133 SDRAM, so forget that crap. They are even trying to sell a MSI 845 Ultra Socket 478 with blown capacitors... WTF???

I was about to tell you that eBay was a waste of time, but then I decided to type in "Abit socket 478" in the search. Ok, There is an Abit BH7 available (I have a buddy that owns one of these and he loves it). There is an Abit BD7 that should work although it's mainly an older 400 bus mobo. Both of these mobos I mentioned can be overclocked.

I looked to see what Asus had to offer on eBay and didn't find anything I could recommend. Looks like pickings are slim on eBay right now.

Another Abit to look for is the BE7 besides the BH7. Look for Asus P4PE or P4B533. These older i845 mobos might say they only support PC2100 or PC2700 RAM, but any DDR RAM will work.

Maybe put an ad in the "wanted" section? Maybe someone has an old i845 mobo laying around collecting dust.

i'm only 14 and i got my classifieds access restricted. would an abit IS7-V2 work?

-1cem4n

EDIT: what chipset should I bet getting?

Last edited:
I need to make a disclaimer statement for what I posted earlier. I said there was no 1.7 Northwoods. I was sent a private message correcting me. Technically there is a 1.7 Northwood, but, that's only a mobile 1.7 P-4 M. I should of said there was no desktop 1.7 Northwood.

Ok, what about the Abit IS7-V2? That's an Intel 848P chipset and again it don't support Willamettes (see the Abit compatibility page).

http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/IS7-V2/index.php

Look for a socket 478 mobo that uses DDR RAM and has an Intel 845 chipset, preferably Asus or Abit.

Back