• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit vs Asus Droop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VTpelt

Registered
On my Quest to break 4Ghz stable, my second P4p800-e dlx died. I was able to boot up into windows at 4.2Ghz @ 1.6v but locked up before finishing logging in. I am going to guess the voltage drooped too much and thus locked the system. So, I need a new motherboard. I was wondering which board provided the least vcore droop. The P4p800-e dlx was stabe at 3.875Ghz but I am not going to rest until I get 4Ghz+. I really do not want to have to droop mod my mobo because I've already killed one P4p800-e dlx in trying to do so.

So, In reading other posts, people have had more stability with the P4c800 but that board is $180. Another option would be an Abit IC7-g Max II which is $140 which isn't too bad.

My question is, which board has proven to have the least droop @ high voltages. Or is there another board that is even better?
Thanks

The Abit IC7 series is the best for Prescott overclocking in my opinion. The Abit does undervolt a little, but don't confuse this with droop. Voltage droop means volt drops much more under load than at idle. While the IC7 does have a little droop, it's not nearly as bad as the Asus models which sometimes overvolt at idle and undervolt at load.

Thanks, I think im going to get the IC7-g. Here is a little picture of whats going to be sitting onto of the IC7-g. Still needs a little work

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 99
Good choice, the IC7, has very good mosfets, which with a prescott you really want, putting a few sinks on them wouldn't heart either. Use a mix of AS5 and epoxy, this just enables you to take them off at a later date. Be careful doing so though.

Scott.

Back