• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'n P4-M 2.4 on a desktop board downclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apesoccer

Ok...i had this soyo board sitting around...one of those $85 soyo's with a 2 $40 rebates...anyway...so it sat for most of a year, then i came accross this p4-m (p4-m or whatever it is...it says mobile...pcmark says its a zeon...but i don't think so...) I'm fairly certain it's a p4-m. Anyway, so in the bios it starts out and states what the cpu is, it recognizes it, as a P4-M 2.4ghz, then below it, it states the mhz...1240mhz...which really is what it's running. So i was thinking it must be running hot or something and be clocking down...well, i was talkign with someone and they said on desktop boards they automatically clock down. Beauty...sigh. So now i'm oc'n it. One mhz at a time...only this board will only oc 33mhz lol.

Anyway, can anyone back this statement up? That the p4-m's downclock in desktop boards?

They downclock in laptops too. It's that speedstep technology or something that P4's use to save energy. Go into the BIOS and look for energy saving features for the cpu and such and disable them. The cpu should clock back up when there is a load on the cpu anyhow

Well, there isn't a an option to turn off anything like that in the bios. I've fooled with about every setting i can find. I knew about speedstepping, and downclocking and whatever else people are calling it when the computer turns down the multiplier, or the clock or both to conserve battery life. What i was told though was that it with only Pentium mobile chips (specifically in a desktop mobo...this doesn't pertain to mobile mobos [edit: or Amd mobile chips]), it automatically downclocks to it's lowest setting regardless of temp or usage. And when i look in the bios, the multiplier is locked, so i can't fool with that. (which may mean that this is a celeron mobile instead of a pentium mobile...correct my terminology if i'm misnaming it). But then, this isn't information i received from a tech site, it was from another forum, from someone i didn't know.

It'd really be cool if i could find someone who had oc'd a pentium mobile chip. Or had tried. It'd help me further if i correctly identified this chip heh.

Back