• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest SDRAM??? How bout 170mhz 2-2-2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terry

oczbluepc150_Sandra_ID_170.gif

PC Stats reviews the OCZ ICE 150 SDR memory. The best PC-150 there is? Find out...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=845

What's funny is those are the old 7.5 ns Infineon chips. Mushkin is now using 7 ns (as are the ones I got from Compuwiz for 1/2 their price). Haven't got my system up to test how high these will go though, but I'd be happy with 170 2-2-2!

well i must say that is good for SDRAM, the best i have gotten on my pc2400 DDR is 172FSB at 4 way bank interleave, at cas 2.5

mE NOT SO lUCKY

I went and bought some after reading this post, I needed a single 256 stick and 36 bucks is cheap either way. I did not fare so well with this ram. It definitly does 150 2-2-2 so I can't complain about that but i came no where near what that article is stating. c'mon its 7.5ns sdram it technically shouldn't do 170 mhz, especially at 2-2-2 right? Well it doesn't mine won't break 160 at 3-3-3 and the highest i run stable at 2-2-2 is 155 mhz. I have a stick of mushkin rev 2 that will do 146 at 2-2-2 or 163 at 3-3-3. my goal is to hit 166 at 2-2-2 but it looks like i should have bought the mushkin rev3, at least its 7ns and should go higher than this crap OCZ ICE memeory. oh well I saved about 60 bucks compared to the muskin price. :cool:

That store has a bad reputation on quite a few overclocking forums. Who knows, maybe they found a good stick and sent it to them for review. That's why you shouldn't trust those web reviewers who are 'given' stuff like video cards by the manufacturer to review; they should test one off the retail shelf (though I suppose that can get expensive).

Case in point is Reverend Pulpit who just did a review of a couple of Geforce3 Tis. I believe he was given the card by VisionTek to review. He said the thing will overclock to 250 core from 175 stock. Well check the forums, a lot of guys who actually bought the card cannot get it over 220 stable. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist . . .

With regard to the overclockerz store i will never buy from them and here is why.

I bought some time ago two chips that were supposed to both do 1600mhz or more with their gladiator heatsink. with my glaciator and big fan on the side of the case and 72^o ferrenheight ambient temp i could do 1510 and 1530 with the chips on my epox 8k7a at 2.07v. Later i hooked the faster chip up to watercooling and could do 1620 at 2.07v with ice water flowing through the waterblock(ice in resivoir).

In my opinion they are a terrible store and noone should buy from them no matter what the product or price and i will personaly never recomend or give them money again.

Why don't you guys try to return it? Was the ram specifically advertised as capable of doing 160+ at 2-2-2?

I heard they may give you a hard time, though, and I guess for the guy in Brazil, too much hassle.

I was wondering, why do you guys need SDRAM that will do over 160 2-2-2? I believe the A7V133 and KK266 are two great overclocking boards for the Athlon but on the Anandtech review, the Asus would only do 153 FSB and the KK266 160, I think.

I dunno, do the BE6-II, CUSL, and P3V4X (with ICS clock generator) clear 160 easy?

above 160

I have been as high as 165 but at 3-3-3 on my bx133. the bios will go as high as 200 but i just have a goal of 166 @ 2-2-2. rathere than upgrading to a whole new mobo and chip and memory just to achieve slightly better memory bandwidth, I just want good memory, it has to exist, some guys have ran above 170. I have a killer chip and a killer cooler and nothing else in the system is getting stressed yet but them memory always craps out. I've tried everything from 8-7ns memory and nothing yet stable above 155 2-2-2. oh well maybe one day.:cool:

i have only heard of people getting their P3V4Xs to about 155fsb, however if you pair that with the 4/3 ratio ram speed you should get some spankin ram benchies....i dunno if itll run though....

go to overclockers.co.uk and under mboards look at reviews for the epox8k?? +ddr board wif da kt266a and theres a guy using crucial ddr 2100 cas2.5 wif thermaltake mem collers who works for them testing the board and he hit 166mhz 2-2-2 easy.... im getting same board same cooling same mem....

what i need

notice my post....BX-133 = BX chipset.....BX chipset = SDRAM......
SDRAM does not equal DDR or pc2100 ram. I need 166 mhz 2-2-2 good 'ol sdram and can't seem to find it. If anyone can garantee it i'll buy it....:cool:

Re: above 160

supergenius74 said:
I have been as high as 165 but at 3-3-3 on my bx133. the bios will go as high as 200 but i just have a goal of 166 @ 2-2-2. rathere than upgrading to a whole new mobo and chip and memory just to achieve slightly better memory bandwidth, I just want good memory, it has to exist, some guys have ran above 170. I have a killer chip and a killer cooler and nothing else in the system is getting stressed yet but them memory always craps out. I've tried everything from 8-7ns memory and nothing yet stable above 155 2-2-2. oh well maybe one day.:cool:

Sorry that I have to say that, but you should get a mobo with another chipset. For example i815EP b steppping or via chipset. I had an Abit BF6 BX Board with Softmenu III 84-200 MHz FSB and also could never get over 160 MHz FSB @ 3-3-3!!! Now I changed my mobo to a new Tualatin Board from MSI (MSI 815EPT Pro) and now I can get 166 MHz FSB with the same RAM and without Northbridge cooling!! I also ordered some new RAM that can do 166 MHz @ 2-2-2!! Hope that it works.
I also couldn't believe it first, but I think most BX-boards crap out @160 MHz FSB if you don't supercool them(I mean heatsinks on every chip *g*).

i just need good ram

i have ram right now that will do 165 @ 3-3-3 its from mushkin. my stoopid OCZ ICE will do that also but it will only do 155 @2-2-2 and the mushkin will only do 146 @ 2-2-2. IT's not the chipset or cooling or anything else. I just can't find ram that will go over 155 @ 2-2-2 and 2-2-2 is a huge difference than 3-3-3. I have over 500 mb/sec on sisoft sandra 2001 memory benchmark. most I815E don't have that. I would trade someone both of my sticks of crapola ram for some guaranteed 166 2-2-2 ram. :eek:

I think Compuvision still has some Tonicom PC-166 ram left, but it is 128 MB sticks. Why not give it a try?

Or try Mike's Pre-Tested CPUs at http://www.pretestedcpus.com, he is selling SDRAM guaranteed to do that. He told me it is Ramtek ram which does about as well as Tonicom used to. I'd be curious to know how well that ram does.

I really trust Crucial... every other brand of memory out there that uses Micron chips are actually getting the chips that Crucial didn't take. Crucial sticks use THE best memory chips on the market. Most hit high numbers easily. My 256MB cas2 chips hit 150/cas2 timings easily. Never tried any higher.

With my 256mb of Crucial PC2100 i got to 155mhz with all settings max. At 157mhz Windows booted but rebooted right away, dunno why. At 160mhz Windows didnt boot at all. Thats with all settings maxed out though.

Highest I have ever gotten a boot at (boot only, not stable) was 170 Cas 2-3-2. That was with my KK266 and Tonicom PC166 RAM, and only after putting ASII and a fan on my northbridge.
Peace
John

512MB PC133 Micron sticks will do 166MHz CL3 or 155MHz CL2.

512MB memory modules are more dense and have bigger chips, and also are alot more stable due to the new architecture.

And as for people trying to say there is a difference between Crucial and Micron ram, there isnt except that True Micron ram is hand tested and therefore, you know your getting it right the first time!

Back