• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting to wifi without logging into XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroka Sempai

I want to use my spare computer as a FTP server, but I don't want cables running everywhere (well, my GF don't, I like cat5 blue ;)). So I got a wireless NIC and set-up the computer for remote desktop. I plan on putting it in my walk-in closet, the only thing connected to it will be the power cord (not even a CD-ROM or floppy).

Problem is that, after a restart, I have to log into windows before it will connect to the wifi network, and if there is no monitor, mouse, or keyboard connected to log in with... that defeats the purpose of hiding it in a closet.

Is there a way to set-up the wireless connection as a system service or something, so it connects even without logging into windows?

Computer is a Celeron 400MHz, 128mb RAM, 10gb HDD, WinXP Pro SP2.

Just find an old keyboard, stick it in, and put it on top of the computer when you're done.

And use Linux, much, much better for servers. Redhat would be a good distro :p

Back