• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check Disk Running at every boot - XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrSelfDestruct

I'm having a problem with one of my computers. Every time I boot, Check Disk runs. Is there any way I can disable this from running every time? Is there any reason why it would be doing this? I'd like to avoid formatting and reinstalling if possible. It has WinXP w/SP2 on it.

Thanks!

After I installed SP2, the exact same thing happened to me - it would run a scan on whichever one of my partitions was being loaded, every boot.

I scheduled a full-disc check within Windows, and then restarted the machine. After the scheduled full-check and error-recovery ran, the issue went away.

click My Computer Icon> select drive that windows has issue with>right click properties>tools>and do error checking

That worked for me

Also if both of those excellent suggestions don't work you can try going into your run box and typing cmd and at the cmd prompt type

chkntfs /d

if that doesn't do it

chkntfs /x c:

c: being the drive you want to exclude from the check

the d will reset to default initially checking once on boot after ran and fixing any errors then back to just checking without running unless errors encountered

the x will skip checking for the specified drive

type chkntfs /? at the cmd to see what this all is

Last edited:
Back