• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spacecenter Systems is Scam Site

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geid3811

So I searched on froogle for 6600gt and spacecentersystems.com pops up with several different cards for $8. So I think to myself "this has to be either a mistake or a scam." So before I post in cyberdeals I check them out on resellerratings.com

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller6781.html

As best as I can tell what they do is get you to place an order for the card and then claim a pricing error but give you the "OPPORTUNITY" to purchase the card at the actual price. Just a heads up. Here is the card I was looking at.

http://www.spacecentersystems.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/273540?refsrc=froogle

Note: Check out the little disclaimer at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Here is a search on their site. They even have a 6800GT for $8.

http://www.spacecentersystems.com/catalog/quick_search_result.php/keywords/6600 gt/page/1/sort/5a

Last edited:
ya...

Order Number: 20740
Detailed Invoice: https://www.spacecentersystems.com/catalog/account_history_info.php/order_id/20740
Date Ordered: Sunday 11 September, 2005

Products
------------------------------------------------------
2 x MSI NX6800GT-TD256 FX6800GT 8XAGP 256MB DDR3 w/VGA port/DVI/TV-O (112-MS8966005010) = $16.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $16.00
United Parcel Service - Realtime

i didnt pay a penny :p

Deliberate mis-pricing is not legal AFAIK and if the Trading Standards (or US equivelant) recieve a large number of complaints I'm sure they will do something.

I didn't actually buy from them, but I did call before placing an order for an OCZ Powerstream 520W at the ridiculously low price of $8. They immediately told me they were having problems with their site, and that all orders placed would be given the option to cancel. They seemed pretty mystified that people would actually expect them to sell goods for less than a tenth of their price. Can't say I blame them.

kovboi said:
I didn't actually buy from them, but I did call before placing an order for an OCZ Powerstream 520W at the ridiculously low price of $8. They immediately told me they were having problems with their site, and that all orders placed would be given the option to cancel. They seemed pretty mystified that people would actually expect them to sell goods for less than a tenth of their price. Can't say I blame them.

I don't blame them either; but there is an important distinction to be made.

IF a retailer lists low ball prices as a scheme to draw people in, that's wrong and it's definitely reasonable for customers to be very annoyed by this. However, you have to consider that using this practice would be a terrible business plan. Yes, it drives traffic to your site, but the "customers" who come leave annoyed and disappointed... so it's very counter productive. As such, I'd wager that in the vast majority of cases, things like this are mistakes on the part of the retailer, and not a ploy to draw people in and do a bait and switch.

On the other hand, mistakes absolutely happen, and people should not expect the retailer to be forced to honor ridiculous prices resulting from such mistakes. On occasion, my price database update query does some strange things and sets prices on some items to $6.48. Clearly, I'm not going to sell someone a $350 processor for $7, mistake or not. Even the most well designed systems have occasional errors, and nobody is perfect after all :)

We had a 'customer' place an order for 500 sticks of memory once when the price screwed up and shows $6.48 each. He was not only mystified, but extremely irate that I wouldn't honor the price. He was obviously aware it was a mistake, and was trying to horribly abuse it, yet he was mad at us :rolleyes:

Anyway, my point is that if a company does this on a regular basis and handles it poorly, then there is certainly reason to be angry. However, just realize that mistakes do happen, it doesn't mean the company is a bunch of scam artists.

Their website is down so hopefully they got shut down for good! I hate it when people do tactics like that intentionally.

And I agree completely with you, TankGuys. I never tried to abuse a price mistake, not even once. Everyone is human, and they are bound to make mistakes.

Wicked_Klown said:
Here is the price I found for the MSI 6800GT.
MSI GF 6800GT 256MB 112-NX6800GTTD256 0 $402.00

Isn't that price too high? Did any GeForce 6800GT get dropped to around $300 dollars?

Back