• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Version Of Windows Vista is right For you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackmage

1.Windows Vista Home Basic Edition, which will fill the same slot as Windows XP Home and probably be as fairly useless for home users.

2.Windows Vista Home Premium Edition which will add a the next-generation of Media Center capabilities, including support for HDTV, DVD authoring, and DVD ripping. This will be more useful, but more expensive, for home users.

3.Windows Vista Professional which is targeted at businesses and will support for non-Microsoft networking protocols.

4. Windows Vista Small Business Edition, which includes a networked backup solution and an Enterprise Edition, Virtual PC integration, and the ability to encrypt an entire volume of information.

5. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition which according to Volish spinners is not tuned for businesses, enterprises, small business, home users or any of that sort thing.

According to the specs, the Ultimate Edition is tuned to the ‘individual’ and features features things like Game Performance Tweaker, a Podcast creation utility, exclusive access to music, movies, services and preferred customer care and other offerings.

Apparently Vole will not allow corporate licensing versions of Ultimate Edition, mostly to cut out the pirates.

But Also look what they are doing to the third world!

6. Windows vista starter edition "there will be a cut down starter edition for third world countries, which will only run three applications at a time, run basic TCP/IP networking and be fairly useless for games."

Taken From here

So what version Are you getting? and how does it meet you needs?

P.S Also i think it's bad what they are doing to the third world. how are they suppose to keep up with us if we don't enable them to come on microsoft I'm sure that you could at least Provide the home edition of Vista for them so they can afford it. :rolleyes:

So what do you think and what version's are you guys going to buy>?

Im going for ultimate look pretty Good.

I am sticking with XP until I can TRY to get rid of my need for M$, but if I can't kick my M$ habbit I am not getting vista until it has been released for a while (year or so). That way all of the major oversights can be fixed and I can get a somewhat stable OS. IF I do go Vista...I'd buy the premium home edition and if it wasn't outrageously expensive I'd opt for the ultimate edition.

I agree, I'll probally stick with xp for a wile, so vista can go down, and so all the bugs can be worked out. As long as ms stil supports xp (and they will) i'll probally use it for another 6 months or so avter vista comes out

I looked closely at what the features will be and I will wait as well. I'm not certain what the features of each OS will be down to the letter and there is too many uncertaintys at this point.

However, I am slightly worried about pricing. There is 3 consumer editions and 3 business editions. The last consumer edition (Uber) will include the features of the first business edition in it, as well as potentially offer free music and movie downloads. Thus, it will most likely be REALLY expensive. The middle consumer edition will have media center edition qualities, so it will be somewhat expensive due to that fact. Looking across the whole version list makes me somewhat confused... only the middle business edition can Fax? Only the first business edition and top consumer edition can join a domain? Does that mean that simple file sharing as as good as it gets until you get the domain capability?

I need to see how pricing goes and what features are where... but I fear that things will be too pricey and too limited for my tastes... and that I will end up not liking yet another thing about Vista...

Am I thinking along the wrong lines?

Well, considering I have a hard drives with installs of every MS OS since 95 in good working order...I'll prolly follow suit with these. Nowadays I mainly use XP pro, so it looks like I'll be needing something to fill all those needs with whatever I am to replace it. So, going by those descriptions, I'd have to say it would be Vista Pro.

Vista Pro/Ultimate..... Truely depends what the HUGE diffeneces are in system preformances and extra tweaking features between those 2 versions...

Only reason for me to upgrade is to get 64-bit OS, so I can start using some 64-bit apps that would be coming out around the time of Vista's release. So til then I'll be happly stuck with XP Pro and my current system.

You can also get free versions working at certain retail chains too. I know Best Buy did this when I was working there. Take a Quiz of 10 questions (from Microsoft) and if you score 80% or more you would get a copy of XP Pro. Well what ya know it was easy as pie, you could take the test as much as you want and when you finally got the 8 of the 10 right, you'd get it mailed to ya. Still got the case it came in... 3min of my time for a full version of XP Pro, not bad hehe.

Im sure they will have similar programs at such stores in the future, to get the people selling it, familiar with the system so you can sell more.

When VISTA comes out they keep XP up to date with patches I should think probably stop doing things for Windows 98. Like a new op system comes in old goes out for example XP came in 95 goes out.

I won't get VISTA for a year after it's launch cause of the bugs thing I always treat hardware and software as prototypes when they come out. Like the PS2 I didn't get 1 until a year after lauch but I'll still have to build a 64-bit system (AMD all the way) to get the most out of it. But my A64 system will probably still have XP on it at first hopefully I'll starting building by X-MAS.

So Micorsoft will be supporting DVD ripping? As in they will put software to rip DVDs in their next operating system. Yeah! :santa: Guess I won't need to worry so much about DRM if Microsoft will let back up our DVDs and future Hi-Def discs(Blu-Ray, HD-DVD). This is very good news!

I thought Vista required a special kind of monitor or PCI-E or something like that, read it off some review site.

Anyways, it depends, either Home or Pro edition. XP Pro gave about 1-2 seconds and about 2-3 points in benchmarks and loadup times, and it isn't any harder to use then Home Edition, right now, both are priced at almost the same range anyways, probably off by a few dollars. If their Pro edition is as easy to use as their Home Editions, I'll go for Pro.

But I'd rather wait for the scores. See if Vista has an actual noticeable benefit from XP. Because looking at Vista Beta I, it's about the same as XP.

AngelfireUk83 said:
When VISTA comes out they keep XP up to date with patches I should think probably stop doing things for Windows 98. Like a new op system comes in old goes out for example XP came in 95 goes out.

I won't get VISTA for a year after it's launch cause of the bugs thing I always treat hardware and software as prototypes when they come out. Like the PS2 I didn't get 1 until a year after lauch but I'll still have to build a 64-bit system (AMD all the way) to get the most out of it. But my A64 system will probably still have XP on it at first hopefully I'll starting building by X-MAS.

when vista arrives i heard everything behind windows 2000 will no longer be supported..

I will be going for the uber version as long as it is not a crazy price, I will then run XP via with VT from intel.

sorry guys, i go for the best. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

i'm not sure how many features it has compared to *pro* version.?

i hope this *ultimate* version doesn't cost 399 US dollars.

I'm sure i'd end up with the 'ultimate' edition on my next compy. I love games, and i'm sure i'd get that for gaming. Combine that with a dual-boot of linux

I don't really see why anyone would use Vista over XP. It basically does everything XP does but slower and using more resources. Add to that DRM, and I just can't see why you'd spend money on this product. For that matter, there's really not much reason to upgrade from 2K to XP. Personally, I find windows upgrades very unpersuasive. I don't want to drop cash on cripple-ware, so with all the DRM, I'll just stick with my windows 2000 + linux.

I thought Vista required a special kind of monitor or PCI-E or something like that, read it off some review site.

I don't think it requires PCI-E, although I think it's designed to run slowly without it. It requires a special "trusted" (i.e. treacherous) monitor if you want to play back DVD's or other protected content without running it through a resolution constrictor. Vista will verify that the destination of the video signal that is being output meets its palladium standards, and if it does not, then it will take your high res video and shrink it down to like 320x200, then blow it back up again to make it look crappy, and to encourage you to go buy a treacherous monitor. They don't want you to be able to output high resolution video to any source that might be able to record it. No thanks, I'd rather not pay for my own prison.

Pardon the ignorance... is there somewhere where I can actually see the features/limitations of the different versions? If Vista isn't going to offer me anything useful, I'm going to just stick with XP pro.

Back