• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 or VT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I was thinking about going with the AI7 but the price has gone up for some reason.I can buy the VT7 at my local CompUSA for 89.99 and have it today. Is the Intel chip in the AI7 better than the VIA PT880 chipset? my P4 is a 2.4 Northwood.

Opinions please

I found the VT7 at fry's online for 69.99 and the AI7 for 106.00

Last edited:
intel is better then the VIA

i loved my AI7! it is the BEST board out of the box for O/C and doesnt need ram mods and drop mods like the IC7's do. i would pay the extra $$ and get the AI7.

AI7 rules and VT7 drools. Avoid the VIA and SIS chipsets, especially with the 2.4C, they don't have a PCI lock.

and with the AI7 and some good cooling - you are looking @ 3ghz liekly on that 2.4 - possibly upto 3.4 pending on system ram :D

I've had both boards (VT7--> current AI7), and the VT7 sucks. It's stable, but it doesn't have a PCI/AGP frequency lock so there is no way to OC it... plus the VT7 is only like $62 on the egg, so definitely shop around.

Just a first hand experience tip to you: these boards wouldn't post or run with generic PNY RAM, and they work perfect with the current kingston stuff I have now (same ram, both boards)... if you have a problem look to your ram first. And then look at how you installed it into your case... I lost hair because i was shorting it out and didn't even know it :rolleyes:

TY TY TY Now who has the most trust worthy company to buy it from? I was thinking about NT-Micro or PC Mall but I wanted to find a retailer I could walk into and pay cash to even if I have to order online first. Otherwise I will wait till the next nerd show at the fairgrounds.

If you have a credit card, most people will recommend Newegg or zipzoomfly... definitely 2 of the most trusted/most popular online retailers. you will WAY overpay if you buy it in a retail store... i think AI7's are $160 with a 3 year warranty at fry's (the only retail store i recommend)

Well newegg was out of stock zip is normally higher and i wont EVER buy anything from Fry's. I have too many friends get stuff from them that was fried or refurbished and they got tired of running back to the store every couple of days.

Besides I search thru about 25 stores today and went with eCOST.com they are up north of me and have all the ratings from secure zones. I paid $96.94 with a 1.99 shipping charge.But since were both in __ I paid tax.

dam $160 @ fry's..lol

you should only pay between $90-$105 for the board US so just find aplce around that range.

ai7 will give you a fair amount of voltage settings for your cpu and memory and doesn't droop like the asus boards.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4P800 SE(no mod yet)
PM750@2845ghz watercool
BFG 6800ultra@450/1.2ghz
2x256mb Corsair PC3500C2@2-2-2-5
2x36gig Raptors
OCZ DDR [email protected]
OCZ Powerstream 520watts

Back