• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok I have a 24.3mb pic that I need to compress down to 10mb so that I may email it to a couple guys. What is the best method of compression that stock windows XP can notice? Winzip only gets it down to 15.6mb. Winrar gets it down to 4mb. Does a standard install of windows have the ability to open it? These guys are on work computers and I don't think they have the abilities to download winrar. Are there any other compression methods?

What kind of picture is it? .JPG? Trying to compress it differently may lower the size dramatically.

When i want that done fast i usually open it in paint, change the image somehow (put a small black dot somewhere in the corner) then save it again. Result is usually a 60 - 80% lower size and only a very minor decrease in image quality.

And what program are you using to do this? This is a huge image that is detailed and needs to be detailed for a reason.
Duck

maxxoverclocker said:
if its a sfx, its a self extracting archive, meaning it basicly includes winrar inside the file

Let me elaborate ;)

Creating an SFX File (SelF-eXtracting file) You basically pack the file, and include the algorithms needed to unpack it with it. The result is a .exe that can be run on any pc and will unpack itself without any other programs.

I usually do the compression trick myself with paint. It's quick and works always with pictures from my digital camera (who just happens to have a **** compression)

Back