• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i NEED to get rid of WINDOWS MESSENGER!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

i absolutely hate this windows messenger thing. i use trillian to log on to all my IM simultaneously, and windows messenger works from the background "stealing" my connection, or connecting without notice when i don't want to. the funny thing is, i unistalled windows messenger a while back, so there's no link to it, no tray icon, no nothing. isn't there a service i can kill so it won't keep logging on?

emilio

try using gpedit.msc and under computer configuration -> Administrative Templates ->Windows Components -> Windows messenger, making sure that it isn't allowed to be run. enable the option. You may as well enable both.

if you have service pack 1 or later installed just go to the add/remove programs---> add/remove windows components and uncheck it. It will uninstall it.

I just kill the process, then go into the Program Files folder and rename the Messenger folder to MessengerOff. That will kill it off. As long as you check your Automatic updates to make sure it doesnt reinstall it.

jtlee75 said:
if you have service pack 1 or later installed just go to the add/remove programs---> add/remove windows components and uncheck it. It will uninstall it.

that doesn't uninstall it. Read the description.

I usually just delete the directory, and install the new MSN version, or GAIM or Trillian, seems to work so far? Sometimes you have to delete it from within safemode.

try using gpedit.msc and under computer configuration -> Administrative Templates ->Windows Components -> Windows messenger, making sure that it isn't allowed to be run. enable the option. You may as well enable both.

This is the schnizzle thang for xp pro...don't know about home edition tho'.

Spybot Search and Destroy has some options to control what programs start up automatically in the advanced menu. You can try to disable it there.

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you see it in either of those, it will start with windows.

do you use outlook or outlook express? if so when you open that program messenger gets automatically reinstalled and the tray icon reappears.

i got rid of it by going into outlook settings and turning off "automatically log into windows messeger"

and then i did as S_wilson suggested and it works.. it may give you an error the next time you open outlook but messenger should not appear again

i just checked this thread after a while, i posted before saying what S_Wilson suggested worked, but i don't see my post. maybe it was deleted due to excess of caps and badmouthing Bill, both products of my messenger-induced rage.
Anyways, it worked!

Back