• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clarification Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigDan3131

I have a simple question I hope is in the right section

I have a Dell POS that came with Win XP and I want to know if I can remove my HD and put it into my new system without having to wipe it clean. I dont want to lose all my info and what Im basicly doing is switching it all to a better case and a better Mobo.

The BIOS isnt on the HD hidden someplace is it? TY

LOL, no the BIOS is not on the hdd.

This can be done, there are a couple of was you can go about it.

1) Just install the hdd into the new set up & install current drivers.
or
2) I think it's Delete all the mobo/chipset drivers from your current installation,
then remove the hdd & install into the new set up.

both ways do work, I wasnt sure about what to delete, so I didnt deelete anything.
reinstalled new mobo drivers & all was well - 2x too ! same hdd 2 diff mobos.

But it takes up a lot of space having 2 mobos worth of driver files.
I eventially reformatted & started fresh tho.

GL
:cool:

Put the new hard drive in, boot up the windows install disk, and choose set up new windows installation. Then it will detect you have a windows install, and offer to repair it. Choose to repair it. This should reinstall windows and all the drivers, while preserving your filesystem, installed programs, menus, registry, etc.

Agreed.

Most of the time you will have noproblems, just drivers. But because windows is so user friendly, it will usually correct all of these.

wink@MRD

And then it will disable itself and force you to call M$ to beg them to reactivate it. =p In order for them to reactivate, you must face Redmond Washington, construct a giant poster of Bill, and pray to it. Note: you must purchase a web cam to prove you are doing this. Not just any webcam, it must send video streams in a trusted format. The cost is only $24,642.

In all seriousness, you will have to reactivate it probably, and if it's an oem version, they probably won't let you. If it's retail, you will probably have to call them and argue, but they'll probably let you.

MRD said:
And then it will disable itself and force you to call M$ to beg them to reactivate it. =p In order for them to reactivate, you must face Redmond Washington, construct a giant poster of Bill, and pray to it. Note: you must purchase a web cam to prove you are doing this. Not just any webcam, it must send video streams in a trusted format. The cost is only $24,642.
I figured I'd get you attention with that. ;)

I think you forgot to mention the dongles you'll have to use too.

You have had nothing but trouble with the GOD Microsoft. I have no problems knock on wood. I have had to re-activate 3 times and no problems knock on wood. third times the charm knock on wood. yeah I said it three times rule of threes.

If the only difference is the mobo then no you won't have to reactivate it. If it is a different cpu and video card though then yes you will. I would just install the hdd and see what happens. If the systems are close enough it will boot fine, if they aren;t the worst case scenario is you have to do a repair install. If you do a repair install you will most likely have to reactivate windows. It was mentioned before that if it is an OEM copy you might have trouble with this.

Back