• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyways to change these shortcuts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDizzle

Is there anyway to change these shortcuts on the side? I really just want to change the My Documents icon because I store all of my documents on my storage partition and keep pressing that shortcut out of habit.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 69
You can also do it by making a reg key. create a txt and fill in the required info into it. Then save it with the extension .reg. Example: places.reg Once the reg file is created in a findable location just click it and it should add the information. All manually created keys are done in this fashion.

untitled27yg.jpg

Using these values, you can see what the open/save looks like. I had this prior, I wanted to give a visual.

untitled18np.jpg

Or just look at the string value and go right to the source. Creating the key makes it easy if you reload Windows. You just click the reg file and it prompts you and then it is added. TweakUI is an awsome program that makes it much easier than this method.

This : Curre ntVersion, should read \CurrentVersion\. Also replace \~user~\ with the name for the user you want to do the change for. My places for example refer to desktop/My Computer/Music folder/Video folder/Pictures. You can specify any locations up to 5 places. This is the easy way to do the code. It will give a similar out put if you have a stocl XP location for your folders. You can modify it very easy. Here is a simple referance for you. Notice the \\ :D
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar]
"Place0"=
"Place1"=dword:00000011
"Place2"="D:\\My Documents\\My Music\\Music"
"Place3"="D:\\My Documents\\My Music\\Video"
"Place4"=dword:00000027

For a specific desktop you can replace the dword:00000000 with: C:\\Documents and Settings\\~Insert user name here~\\Desktop.

Last edited:
Sure,

Group Policy Editor can do it (Start, Run, type gpedit.msc & hit enter). Under User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer | Common Open File Dialog folder it's the first item listed, 'Items displayed in Places Bar'.

I played around with it a little, it seems that if you don't choose all five Windows will still fill in the blanks, but it works. Wolf's Code quote above is the actual Registry Control keys used when you use the Group Policy Editor. I actually like his way better because you can delete keys and only list what you want.

Last edited:
It is actually a good thing to use this method if you remap parts of your drives. Plus if you don't have XP Pro... the gpedit.msc is not availble. :(

You learn your reg is your friend when you don't have the gpedit.msc. Plus you have more control over the enviroment. If you back the reg up it is easier to recover too. You did back your reg up prior to trying this right? lol

I just went ahead and did it the way El Maxi showed me. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to mess with my registry since I'm a noob but thanks for the help guys.

Off topic, what theme are you using Enabling Wolf?

So I know how to change these shortcuts, but is there anyway to add more than 5 places?

I know you can in the microsoft office applications and I have done that, but in the general windows common dialog box I haven't found anything that says you can have more than 5.

Thanks.
--Jay

Back